RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the height of the rear brake lever be adjusted?? I took the rear set off. I see the bolts that hold the master cylinder to the rear set. I tried opening the lock nut, but once i did.. nothing I did would change thge position of the lever? Id like to drop it down atleast an inch?? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
23 is the point which will adjust the pedal height. You want to thread that nut up higher on the shaft which will drop the pedal tip down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned 23, left to right, which moved the nut up the stem. . All it did was create a gap, between itself and the bottom plate it was resting on?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The bracket has a captive nut underneath. Once you get 23 up the shaft a bit, pull the pin out of 17 and thread it up as well. Then re-insert the pin and your lever is in a new position.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps a stupid question, apologies before hand. is that pin easy to pull? , will i need a new one. I understand some time they suggest replacing cotter pins?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Super easy. Needle nose pliers. Probably won't need a new one unless the existing one is super beat up.
Thank you!!!!!! Picture really cleared this up! ill keep ya posted.. see if I can get this done. Anytime I don't pay the shop.. is like Christmas for me! lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In case someone finds this thread years from now, in an attempt to adjust the rear brake lever height on the STOCK rc51 rear set.

THIS IS MORE INVOLVED THAT THE ABOVE PICTUREs MAY LEAD YOU TO BELIEVE.
The above pic, is from an aftermarket rear set.
after tearing a STOCK REAR SET APART. Heres the instructions I came up with.

1. remove the heel guard.
2. remove the 2 large bolts that attach rearset to frame
3. remove bolt that attaches from rearset to muffler (bottom bolt).
4. (heres where it starts to get ugly) remove cotter pin that keeps the master cylinder attached to rear set.
5. this is not shown in the above picture. THE STOCK Rc51 rearset "sandwiches" the master cylinder on both sides. In oder to remove the master cylinder to make the adjustment.. you need c clip pliers, also called pinch pliers.
5. remove 15mm c clip from the bback side of rear
6. Now seperate the foot peg bracket from shift lever.
7. This now allows you to pull the pin free which holds the master cylinder.
8. Now you can spin the retaining clip around.. so it rides up the stem.
9. reverse the order for re-assmble.

personal notes: in the end, you are only able to get, at max, a 1/2 drop from stock rear set. if you look at the picture above, you will see.. that you can only spin the retaing clip a few times.. before it will come into contact with the pinch pin.

good luck. hope this helps someone out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts