RC51 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i've searched and read about all the setups people recommend and are using. I currently have a stock 16/40 setup, and its a fat lethargic pig off the line. I can't stand the amount of clutch feathering it takes to get it moving. I know the 15/41 is what most recommend, but am i completely crazy to use a 46 tooth rear? I mean is there really a difference in a 2 tooth difference while light city and relatively close highway driving? I am a small guy and a car guy...i'm that guy that runs a 99 trans am with 4.56's on the street :) with a 6 speed (its a 5-6 second 1/8 mile car, and a 9 second 1/4 mi with 4.11s). Am i asking for trouble? I am assuming i will need to add a link in the chain as well...any feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i already have just wanting real world opinions on how its going to ride...may paint the wheels while im at it. someone rattle canned them and they look like matte black shit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a 15/41 on right now and still too tall for around town. Barely get out of second gear on surface streets. Going to a 42 rear which seems like it will be about right for daily and around town stuff.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, use the above mentioned gear calculator to find the ratio you would like. Then try to figure out the closest ratio with the smallest front and rear sprockets, as they will be lighter, but with the same ratio. Also less gear-inches which means less drag. A 520 set of sprockets/chain will be lighter still, add them all up, and you get the ratio you want with less friction and weight - win, win, win!

I run a 14/43 which sucks on the freeway (to get to the good stuff), but is a blast in the mountains and on the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts