RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all!

Quick question (and I know this is a varied topic...so...)

I need new rubber for the RC. I am looking at the B-stone BT-016 Pro's as I can get them cheap and they get great reviews. I ride 100% street. Anywho my question was I am currently geared 15/43 (which I hate :mad: ) and am thinking of going either 16/42 or 15/41 (heard good things on both) and I'd like to run a 190/55 on the rear (seems the best combo I've read about so far)
So, I apologize for being a noob but, if I change my gearing is there going to be any fitment issues with a 190/55 @ 15/41 or 16/42 ???
Thanks in advance ;)

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Howdy y'all!

Quick question (and I know this is a varied topic...so...)

I need new rubber for the RC. I am looking at the B-stone BT-016 Pro's as I can get them cheap and they get great reviews. I ride 100% street. Anywho my question was I am currently geared 15/43 (which I hate :mad: ) and am thinking of going either 16/42 or 15/41 (heard good things on both) and I'd like to run a 190/55 on the rear (seems the best combo I've read about so far)
So, I apologize for being a noob but, if I change my gearing is there going to be any fitment issues with a 190/55 @ 15/41 or 16/42 ???
Thanks in advance ;)
You should be fine, clearance will not be an issue. I run a 16/41 with a 195 tire.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Next Spring the S20s are going on.:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S20's are about 20 bucks more from my supplier, but if y'all think they are that much better, might be worth a shot. Truth is, I'm 100% street, no track days in the near future, and a LOT of highway time, mostly straight (God bless the on-ramps for that adrenaline boost, I love going from 0-80 in a few seconds :D ) so I would like something with good life-span but I do ravage some twisty stuff on the occasion so I'd like some grippage too lol, I want it all!!! Thanks guys, you are always reliable for solid input

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Carlos has a set of S20's on the way. Best tires out there for sports riding, I think. But everybody has their preferred brand, etc. Bridgestone do make a multi-compound touring tire, so maybe consider those? I have some on the VFR (BT020's) and they've been no problem at all. Check Bridgestone's website for choices.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt020.html

·
Registered
897 Posts
S20's are about 20 bucks more from my supplier, but if y'all think they are that much better, might be worth a shot. Truth is, I'm 100% street, no track days in the near future, and a LOT of highway time, mostly straight (God bless the on-ramps for that adrenaline boost, I love going from 0-80 in a few seconds :D ) so I would like something with good life-span but I do ravage some twisty stuff on the occasion so I'd like some grippage too lol, I want it all!!! Thanks guys, you are always reliable for solid input
Sounds like you need a dual compound, im running the michelin road 2ct, awesome tire so far, and last forever on my previous bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi wicked, just got my RC and the rear was to the canvas, put pilot 3's on and they are dual compound, however I have not the saddle time to make a subjective assessment yet but talking to two bikers (man and wife) last night, both who have recently done coast to coast and back on one set of p3's, the tyres were shot at the end but that seemed good mileage, they were riding a Ducati monster and a FJR, they also stated they hit torrential weather and the p3's were very impressive with. I also echo Stigs comments about BT 's as I too had VFR, and I followed lots of pleased VFR owners advice and mixed (from new) 020 rear and I think it was 019's for front.... Worked for me.

But for the RC two weeks ago, I paid about $370 for the p3's fitted......... chikenstrips were free!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured there'd be a spread of opinions...:D thats cool though, would rather have too much info than not enough. My main concern was doing the gear change and then having a fitment issue with the 190/55
Thank you all for the great feedback, I have lots of homework to do before I pull the trigger (well....and still waiting to start fartin' hunnit-dollah billz y'all)
I have my dream bike, and now I want to get her dialed in.
New rubbers, PCV (with proper dyno), Gear change (before dyno), speedo healer, and then some cosmetic stuff ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you all for the great feedback, I have lots of homework to do before I pull the trigger (well....and still waiting to start fartin' hunnit-dollah billz y'all);)
LOL , was wondering if the biker in the adverts shedding money as he rides was modelled on an rc 51 owner! :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the Pilot Power 3s(PP3) and I've quite happy with them EXCEPT how fast they wore out. I have about 4000 miles on mine and theres about 2mm to the wear bar in the center and plenty left on the sides. They do have 1 track day on them though. I run them 32/34-36 on the street and 30/30 on the track. I am a slow-medium intermediate rider on the track (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

For your purpose I would suggest sport touring tires such as Pilot Road 2/3s or something similar. The PR2s have been known to be good for even medium intermediate riders on the track. They just need a little more time to warm up. They have much better durability but a little bit rounder profile. My friend had 12k miles on his PR2s on his SV and they still weren't down to the wear bars. The SV doesn't have to torque of the RC so wear would be extended but he's quite a good rider too. He finally got sick of his PR2s and wanted to try something new so he changed to PP3s.

For my next set of tires I might try something with more durability(maybe 8k miles) and steeper profile. If I can find something that is between PP3 and PR3 in terms of grip that would be awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
More tire reviews

Friends, I purchased by 04 RC51 last spring with 9000 miles shod with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Last week at 12,300 miles I installed Dunlop Q3 Sportmax 120/70ZR17 and 190/50ZR17, these are the same sizes as the Pirelli.

I am so impressed with the improved handling and ride. I understand new tires are most always an improvement but these Dunlops vastly improve the turn-in and mid-turn stability and seem to be more predictable. The bike always seemed to want to stand up in the mid-turn and now it just lays there requiring no effort.

Of course on the street I don't test the traction, for that I use my race bike, but I will switch to Dunlops on my SV650 race bike at the next tire change.

I just wanted to share my experience.

Thank you

KRR

·
Registered
173 Posts
Should've put a 190/55 on it. Even better turning

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love pirelli tires too. Good choice in my opinion. Metzler is slowly pulling me away from pirelli though. Have two new sets of corsa 2 and they keep getting passed over for new Metzlers

·
Registered
246 Posts
i just got the dunlop q3 as well front and back and love them. the handling is great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, 200/55 fits fine. Even have a puig hugger.
you know i was thinking about 190/55 for SP1 2002, but then i saw this 200/XX on my friend CBR 1000.
you sure the 200 will fit fine on RC51/VTR1000SP1??

will it have a more flat profile? or will it be more angled because of narrow wheel with wider tire?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts