RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have an 04 RC51 SP2 and would like some opinions on buying exhaust for the bike.

I have clean Jardines, but for me I want something high end for the bike. The bike is really clean. My choices are the ladybird oval low mounts or the ladybird long can moto gp's. What do you recommend and why? I'm in Canada so I "think" the long can moto gp's are doable. NOT the shorts. Am I wrong?

Thx

kw.....

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I haven't heard them myself, but a couple on this forum have commented that the GP Cans are pretty loud. The full length cannisters are probably a better choice if you ride the streets and hwys.
Can't tell you how many times I've lurked on the ebay page Simon has. :D

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I haven't heard them myself, but a couple on this forum have commented that the GP Cans are pretty loud. The full length cannisters are probably a better choice if you ride the streets and hwys.
Can't tell you how many times I've lurked on the ebay page Simon has. :D
Probably not more than myself...

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Quality wise, you won't find anything for sale new that is better than Simon's stuff. You already have jardine's, which IMO are about middle of the road along with yoshimura and a handful of other brands still making stuff for the RC51. Don't waste time trading one mid-level brand for another.

The gp cans are VERY loud, but you can use the baffles which will drop it down to closer to the ovals. The full size ovals are more or less about the same sound level as any other slip on besides d&d.

I'll try and take a video of the gp cans, you can check out the long ovals here:

http://youtu.be/qlA8GbY7xQE

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the great info . Do you know if with the baffles on the long moto gp can (500 mm) are a little louder than the ovals? Is is easy to put the baffle in and out?

I've been looking at youtube already. ;)

I need to ride the Jardines a bit and that may help my decision. As you mentioned the ovals should be similar.

Any other feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,

I have an 04 RC51 SP2 and would like some opinions on buying exhaust for the bike.

I have clean Jardines, but for me I want something high end for the bike. The bike is really clean. My choices are the ladybird oval low mounts or the ladybird long can moto gp's. What do you recommend and why? I'm in Canada so I "think" the long can moto gp's are doable. NOT the shorts. Am I wrong?

Thx

kw.....
I have the Jardene Rt 1s that were on the bike when I bought it this year (sp1) 2001 and they are good enough,they are loud enough to keep you safe but don"t sound like some of those that are raspy,(Idon't know how the chew tobacco while riding) but if your last name is Rockerfeller than go for the high end ones.::

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
The baffle takes about two seconds to get in or out. I would think that with the baffles in the long, it might be even quieter than the ovals. The ovals are decently loud, and will be louder than most regular slipons because they have a bigger core than most.

I am no expert, but I think the majority of the increase in loudness from the gp cans comes from the short length. The long gp cans are about the same length as the ovals, so with adding a baffle they may actually be quieter. I was really suprised how much of a difference the baffles made on the short gp cans. I think with the long gp cans, they may be too quiet. I would go with ovals if you want middle of the road.

Your last name doesn't have to be Rockefeller to get the good stuff. It can be Determined, or I'll-Eat-Top-Ramen-For-A-Month.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
So b.miller since you have experience what are your thoughts? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these exhausts just not sure which one.

I love the look of the GP cans but don't want the noise. Not so keen on the full length GP's. But the full length ovals seem to bulky sort of the reason why I pulled the Hindles I have after about 600 kms.

I want the GP shorties...do the baffles lessen their bark?

Sorry just re-read your post my bad. Looks like short GP's baffles.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I'm no scientist or mech, but if this is a daily rider you might want the ovals, unless you don't mind repacking your cans every (or other) oil change....then go the Gp way. Which brings me to this q? How long does the packing last on the Gp can as well as the ovals?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
So b.miller since you have experience what are your thoughts? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these exhausts just not sure which one.

I love the look of the GP cans but don't want the noise. Not so keen on the full length GP's. But the full length ovals seem to bulky sort of the reason why I pulled the Hindles I have after about 600 kms.

I want the GP shorties...do the baffles lessen their bark?

Sorry just re-read your post my bad. Looks like short GP's baffles.
Yeah, if you don't like the look and you do any street riding where you don't want the extra loud short gp's, I think the baffles are a good option. I don't think they neuter it too much. I'll take a video next weekend that shows the difference between open and baffles.

I'm no scientist or mech, but if this is a daily rider you might want the ovals, unless you don't mind repacking your cans every (or other) oil change....then go the Gp way. Which brings me to this q? How long does the packing last on the Gp can as well as the ovals?

I haven't put enough miles on the gp cans to need a repacking yet, nor did I own the ovals long enough to do a comparison. I have heard that it is a good idea to do it every oil change on carbon canisters (especially on twins), so the same for these isn't outlandish or unreasonable in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yeah, if you don't like the look and you do any street riding where you don't want the extra loud short gp's, I think the baffles are a good option. I don't think they neuter it too much. I'll take a video next weekend that shows the difference between open and baffles.
I'd like to see/hear that. :)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The baffle takes about two seconds to get in or out. I would think that with the baffles in the long, it might be even quieter than the ovals. The ovals are decently loud, and will be louder than most regular slipons because they have a bigger core than most.

I am no expert, but I think the majority of the increase in loudness from the gp cans comes from the short length. The long gp cans are about the same length as the ovals, so with adding a baffle they may actually be quieter. I was really suprised how much of a difference the baffles made on the short gp cans. I think with the long gp cans, they may be too quiet. I would go with ovals if you want middle of the road.
Thx for all the info. I don't like the look of the short moto gp cans on the bike using the standard LB mount. It seems the long moto gps are too quiet with the baffle, but too loud without it.

As you suggested earlier, the ovals may be the option. I'm not totally sold on their look either. It's hard to get any good pics of them showing the whole bike, for overall perspective. The oval cans seem to look a little long and they extend further back on the bike than others. Is the can the same length as most other exhausts?

I took my RC51 on it's first outing. The Jardines are loud. Notably.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Well if we ask...b.miller may be so kind as to post some shots of the full length ovals.

I'm pretty sure he had some good shots of them when he posted them up for sale...I should have jumped on them.

I clicked on his link in his sig but he had some better pics of the exhausts I thought in his ad.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts

I have my cans repacked every couple years just to be safe. Nothing worse than a burn hole in the side of your can due to ng insulation.:eek:

I really like the GP cans from Simon, if I haven't already said that.:D

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where do you guys get the repacking material?

Simon got back to me with some info.

The long moto gps are maybe about 102 dB. He said he has a set of long moto gp canisters, but with a smaller inner baffle,so the volume will be much lower than the 300mm open moto gp canisters-still loud (louder than akra carbon).

The ovals are 96 dB.

Any thoughts? Preferences?

Here are a few shots of the moto gp longs. Not as stumpy as the shorts.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/dsc0016dg.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/dsc0017oo.jpg/

Here's b.miller123's pics of the ovals.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-sport-twins-classifieds/65786-full-size-titanium-oval-canisters-new.html

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Just a thought kwtox, at 96 Db, that's 4 Db over the legal here in AB, not sure about SK; but the sound nazi's can be really heinous over here:eek::mad: My RC without the extra baffles in the Yosh pipes that I have passed (barely), and the guy that checked mine was actually easy on me; probably would have failed if I'd been checked by a tar-hole with an attitude. Alot depends on how you are riding when you hit the sound check trap I think as to how bad they roust you.
Sound output is a very personal if not contentious issue on the street and it's going to get worse over time I'm afraid. Having ridden a bored out cruiser custom with open pipes for almost ten years prior to sound legislation, I'm probably as guilty as anyone for the current sound police issue. Although I didn't do the dumbass stuff that many other (not just HD) open v-twin riders do, it all adds up. Choose wisely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts