RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to remove the right threaded spacer to get my tired swingarm off. i cant find anywhere that has a hex drive large enough....

any ideas on what to use to get it out? i cant get it to budge even when i put the pivot bolt the other way in and use it as a hex drive....

any idea what massive size hex drive it would take to just back that spacer out? 20mm? 22mm? lost my calipers and dont have a ruler here. anybody got something crappy they made up?

thanks gents

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think it is 18mm, but (and don't laugh at this) i was in a bind one day and had to do the same thing you are so I bought a hex shaped chisel tool from Home Depot that was the exact same size and cut the head off of it with a cut-off wheel and used it!

This may not be the same one, but it is close and will give you the idea of what I used
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro-2-in-x-10-in-Floor-Chisel-G472/100127112

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
A simple fix thinking outside the box. Find a bolt that fits well head first. Get two nuts on the bolt and tighten to each other on the threads. Then use the inner nut which is now in a fixed position with a flat wrench.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
The swingarm pivot bolt uses a 14mm socket to not only hold itself to tighten the right pivot bolt nut (27mm), but the hex behind the pivot bolt head (21mm) is used to rotate the left adjust bolt.

I bought a 21mm 1/2" drive allen socket online for my job.
The reason you're having problem with removal is the same reason most everybody has, which is corrosion.

I was able to use a rubber mallet and drift punch to gently but forcibly, remove the pivot bolt without damage to the head or threads.

I was able to then use the 21mm allen socket to loosen and remove the adjust bolts on each side.

After I checked and regreased the swingarm bearings and installed new seals, I scrubbed off the corrosion and made sure that I put a coating of grease on the pivot bolt and adjust bolts to prevent future corrosion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was lucky enough that not only was my swingarm pivot bolt not that badly corroded, but the head of a 10 or 11mm ratchet fit in there nice and snug and at just the right angle to provide me some leverage. Spun out pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so in the 1st picture i attached, can i just get a 21mm Hex drive on a wrench and it should back out?

my pivot bolt itself came out clean as a whistle, just this spacer that threads into the frame is giving me trouble

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
so in the 1st picture i attached, can i just get a 21mm Hex drive on a wrench and it should back out?

my pivot bolt itself came out clean as a whistle, just this spacer that threads into the frame is giving me trouble
That spacer is the left adjust bolt. There's a right one too.
Both are secured with the castellated lock nuts.

The Honda special tool for the castle nuts is the large one to the left.
The small one to the right is for the SP1 engine mount castle nuts which aren't used on the SP2.
You can find aftermarket castle nut tools on the Internet.

In the photo below, the left adjust bolt is to the left and right bolt to the right. The extend section is where the right bearing seal rides.

The adjust bolts position and secure the swingarm to the bearings, and the pivot bolt secures the assembly to the frame.

I got my 21mm allen socket at Network Tool Warehouse since it was hard finding a 21mm allen in town. Nobody had one.

Go to Automotive Tools Equipment Supplies ntxtools.com Network Tool Warehouse and search for: TTN-15621 21mm 1/2in Dr. Hex Bit Socket
When I bought mine a couple of years ago, it cost less than $6.00!

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent 21mm hex drive ordered!

thanks for the help gents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts