RC51 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy new radiators for the bike...last thing before i put new plastics on it. are there any brands that are better/worse fit than others?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am about to buy new radiators for the bike.
Although I have never dealt with them, this manufacturer gets excellent reviews across all of its product offerings. Motorcycles, vintage cars, etc.

You do not state if you have an SP1 or an SP2.

FIT HONDA VTR 1000 SP-1 SC45 &RVT 1000R SP-2 RC51 aluminum radiator 2000-2001 | eBay

L&R Aluminum Radiator FIT HONDA VTR 1000 SP-1 SC45 SP-2 RVT1000R RC51 2002-2006 | eBay

Should you decide to purchase a set from them leave some feed back on this discussion as to the quality and fitment of the product for other owners.

Reactions: theottergod

·
Registered
43 Posts
I reached out to the manufacturer, Winner Racing, to question the construction of their radiators compared to the OEM ones. This was their response.

The core of our radiator is 40mm thicker than the OEM radiator, so the coolant capacity is greater. Besides, our radiator is all aluminum. The cooling effect is better than the OEM radiator.

I'm not sure if an increase of 40mm (~ 1.5 inches) in the thickness of the core would cause any fitment issues between either the frame and/or the lower fairings. Also, not knowing the construction of the OEM radiator, I don't know if an all aluminum radiator would actually provide superior thermal efficiency. In all likelihood, however, they would probably be much lighter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know if an all aluminum radiator would actually provide superior thermal efficiency
A quick search revealed the following.

As you can see in this table, copper is more conductive than aluminum. In fact, aluminum only has 60% of the thermal conductivity that copper does.
Aluminum vs. Copper: Heat Conductivity.
MetalThermal Conductivity [BTU/(hr·ft⋅°F)]
Aluminum136
Copper231

This probably explains the need to increase the thickness of the all aluminum core by 40mm. Does anyone know if the OEM radiator uses a copper core?

·
Registered
43 Posts
They couldn't possibly be that much thicker and the stock radiators ARE aluminum.
Below is a review of the Winner Racing RC 51 radiator. In it the reviewer comments that, despite the thicker core, the replacement radiator is lighter weight than the OEM one. This would appear to indicate some difference in the construction of the radiator beyond just the core.

Font Circle Magenta Rectangle Paper

To Joe XR's point, in order for the aluminum core to provide cooling equivalent to a copper core the volume of the aluminum core would need to be 40% greater.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe XR

·
Registered
131 Posts
Original rads are aluminum, they are very light. If the core was that much thicker they would not fit, in fact they must mean that it is a 40mm core, as that is about how thick the stock rads are. The Chinese companies will say anything, or use lost in translation as an excuse, as there is no recourse, or liability on their end other than an Ebay return. These may work fine, but so would a used stock radiator.
My bro-in-law bought an "all aluminum replacement radiator" for his Dodge Dakota, and the quality seemed OK, but the "full polish" was just silver paint, and the Automatic Transmission line hookups were not even close to the right thread size. I made some adaptors on the lathe and it worked out, but the OEM would have been way less work for only a few more bucks....lesson learned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Original rads are aluminum, they are very light. If the core was that much thicker they would not fit, in fact they must mean that it is a 40mm core, as that is about how thick the stock rads are. The Chinese companies will say anything, or use lost in translation as an excuse, as there is no recourse, or liability on their end other than an Ebay return. These may work fine, but so would a used stock radiator.
My bro-in-law bought an "all aluminum replacement radiator" for his Dodge Dakota, and the quality seemed OK, but the "full polish" was just silver paint, and the Automatic Transmission line hookups were not even close to the right thread size. I made some adaptors on the lathe and it worked out, but the OEM would have been way less work for only a few more bucks....lesson learned.
Yep. Buy once, cry once...

Or you can get lucky like me and score a practically new OEM one for $85 on flea-bay but you gotta put the time in to search every now and then...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts