RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the fork seals on the wife's 01 RC 51 and wondering where is a good place to get the seals from besides the stealership. Also if anyone else has done this is there any tips as I have never done it before but have looked it up on the internet and does not look to be to hard. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
You can order the OEM seals from the online sites (MRCycles, Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers, etc).
Or you can order aftermarket seals from Race-Tech or Traxxion Dynamics.

Download the service manual from the online site (search this site for the link).
Since you have an SP1, the fork disassembly instructions are correct.

For SP2 owners, the instructions are incorrect regarding removal of the fork caps.
For correct disassembly instructions on SP2 fork caps, download the service manual for 2004 CBR1000RR and refer to that fork service section.
To make the fork disassembly easier, you can order the fork toolkit from Race-Tech or Traxxion Dynamics.
The toolkit has a spring compressor, damper rod holding clip, fork oil guage, and damper rod holder/purge tool.
You may want to buy the seal driver as well.
And don't forget to buy good quality fork oil, around 7 wt. for starters.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good call Subsailor on informing everyone on the mix up between cap removal in the service manual. You just saved alot of people in the future from damaging the caps.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Good call Subsailor on informing everyone on the mix up between cap removal in the service manual. You just saved alot of people in the future from damaging the caps.
If disassembled wrongly, you not only damage the fork caps, but also the damper rod that mates with the fork cap.
And Honda does not sell only the damper rod, but only the entire cartridge assembly, which goes for almost $250 each.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Unless your thinking fork seals are gonna be a regular problem in the future I would call your local honda dealers and see what they charge to do it. The ones around me charge $150 if you bring in the forks.

After you by subs tool kit and new seals and oil you'll be pretty darn close to that $150 amount.

But if your into doin the stuff yourself then get after it and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Doing my 00 tomorrow. Putting in the RT compression and rebound valves. Will let you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Unless your thinking fork seals are gonna be a regular problem in the future I would call your local honda dealers and see what they charge to do it. The ones around me charge $150 if you bring in the forks.

After you by subs tool kit and new seals and oil you'll be pretty darn close to that $150 amount.

But if your into doin the stuff yourself then get after it and keep us posted.
If you include shipping, that's in the ball park.
If you buy Race-Tech's fork oil, it's $40 a quart! Good stuff though.
I was going to suggest taking the forks to a dealer or a local shop, but figured I'd go with the informative side of the conversation.
I agree fork seals shouldn't go out very, and it's not worth it to buy all the gear just for the seals.

I bought all my stuff as I'm replacing the cartridges in my forks and the tool kit can be used for pretty much all Showa and Kayaba forks, so it's a one time buy for me.
I may even work on my buddies forks as well. So it may pay for itself one day.

·
Registered
863 Posts
but figured I'd go with the informative side of the conversation.
I wouldn't expect any less from you.

I agree well worth it if the shocks are being rebuilt or like in your situation your working on other peoples shocks also. But for the one time deal I would say go to the dealer

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
Since you're going to be replacing both seals on the forks...send them off to Dan Kyle and let him do a re-valve while they are replacing the seals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts