RC51 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From PA to SC, I had the opportunity to obtain this bike after collecting spider webs for 15 plus years. It came with all the original documentation and even the handle bar hang tag from the show room floor. 2000 SP1, unmodified, minus the slip on's (stocks came in bubble wrap). 3 months and many hours in the shop after bedtime, a few pics of the build. Thanks to this form I was able to source the full moriwaki system and some much needed info on parts. She's had a 100 mile shake down and a dyno appointment in a few days to dial in the PC calibration. What a great piece of history and a great forum.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Floor Flooring Gas Engineering Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hood Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Electrical wiring
a
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Floor Flooring Gas Engineering Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Hood Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Electrical wiring

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome, I too just purchased my second RC51. The first was a 2003 that I tragically lost at the track. I always missed that bike and recently started looking. I ultimately wanted a SP2, but came across an original owner 2000 SP1 with 12,666 miles that was stored in the garage for 11 years. The original owner kept it is excellent shape, but like you it needs some love. I'm putting an Ohlins HO204 on it, getting the forks revalved, new tired, all new fluids, plugs, filters, etc.. I've picked up some parts from a forum member here and plan to pickup the Ladybird Banzais at some point. Really excited to get back on this bike.

I was seriously considering a 2021 Aprilia Tuono, but it just doesn't do for me what the RC does for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
From PA to SC, I had the opportunity to obtain this bike after collecting spider webs for 15 plus years. It came with all the original documentation and even the handle bar hang tag from the show room floor. 2000 SP1, unmodified, minus the slip on's (stocks came in bubble wrap). 3 months and many hours in the shop after bedtime, a few pics of the build. Thanks to this form I was able to source the full moriwaki system and some much needed info on parts. She's had a 100 mile shake down and a dyno appointment in a few days to dial in the PC calibration. What a great piece of history and a great forum.
View attachment 136927 View attachment 136933 a
Those Mori's look great. Usually don't see those around unless they are banged up like crap. I would definitely keep the Erion Exhaust still. You see less of those than you do the Mori and they are also period correct.

Quick question on the Samco's. Must both rads be completely taken off to do the install? I've had a set sitting in my garage for 2 years now and haven't gotten my lazy ass to swap them in yet lol

BTW, on another note for all RC51 riders, regarding the small coolant over-flow plastic canister nestled to the right of the thermostat housing with the small piece of rubber tube attached to it in the pic with the samco hoses...keep an eye on that as you do regular maintenance.

This plastic canister attaches to the bottom of the airbox BUT can slip/vibrate off. Ask me how I know. I'm having to swap out a blown front head gasket because of it...

·
Registered
2002 RC51
111 Posts
@JoeW

Amazing work. You've got something pretty special there..

How many miles did she have on her when you found it? Looks super nice for a 21 year old bike. I love what you've done to it..

Did you do the front fork ohlins work yourself?

Lastly, did your rear ohlins spring preload adjuster need to be modified to lengthen it to get to your rear trunk? That is such a awesome idea, I didn't figure it would extend that far with the stock hose length..

Regardless, very cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those Mori's look great. Usually don't see those around unless they are banged up like crap. I would definitely keep the Erion Exhaust still. You see less of those than you do the Mori and they are also period correct.

Quick question on the Samco's. Must both rads be completely taken off to do the install? I've had a set sitting in my garage for 2 years now and haven't gotten my lazy ass to swap them in yet lol

BTW, on another note for all RC51 riders, regarding the small coolant over-flow plastic canister nestled to the right of the thermostat housing with the small piece of rubber tube attached to it in the pic with the samco hoses...keep an eye on that as you do regular maintenance.

This plastic canister attaches to the bottom of the airbox BUT can slip/vibrate off. Ask me how I know. I'm having to swap out a blown front head gasket because of it...
All I removed was the right side radiator, which I had pulled for the flapper valve delete anyway....After a couple heat cycles I did have to tear it back down and re-tighten EVERY hose clamp though...makes for good practice I guess. Thanks for the compliments...The Erions are on the shelf next to the stocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@JoeW

How many miles did she have on her when you found it? Looks super nice for a 21 year old bike. I love what you've done to it..

Lastly, did your rear ohlins spring preload adjuster need to be modified to lengthen it to get to your rear trunk? That is such a awesome idea, I didn't figure it would extend that far with the stock hose length..

Regardless, very cool
Thank you for the compliments...I sent the forks to Dan Kyle for the Ohlins cartridge kits...bought the rear shock from him as well. The vague instructions tell you to hang the preload adjuster on an exhaust hanger bracket, the run of cable was just perfect to route along side the battery cover, under the sub frame rail and land where you see it pictured. I was really pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@JoeW

Regardless, very cool
Oh yea, she's at 14,300 on the odometer

·
Registered
2002 RC51
111 Posts
You go with the 20mm kit I assume? I'm about to do the same thing!!

On your rear preload adjuster did you fabricate a bracket to mount it up, or was there a good spot to attach to a existing bolt?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You go with the 20mm kit I assume? I'm about to do the same thing!!

On your rear preload adjuster did you fabricate a bracket to mount it up, or was there a good spot to attach to a existing bolt?
I went with 30mm at Dan Kyle’s recommendation. If you zoom in on the pic I put two holes in the plastic tray and through bolted it there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Computer Personal computer Output device Font Peripheral
Little update: fuel calibration done, no it didn’t make 160, that was another RC that was built by KWS a while back, but 133 on pump is awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts