RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone swap out there shift pedal to a cbr600 shift pedal? Makes it 1up-5down, I need a little clearance for the new track boots. I havent played with the stock setup yet, I might find the clearance there:confused:.
I was just curious who likes the change?
And if it helped them out at track days?

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I'm running the normal street shift pattern, but for racing or track use, the GP pattern allows you to upshift while leaned over into a turn.
Plus by pressing down to upshift, you get a more positive shift action with the sole vs toe of the boot.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
The government standardized the current shift pattern back in 1975.
That's why Harley and Brit bikes had to change from right side shift to left side shift to meet regs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used the CBR1100XX shifter. Not sure what the differences might be between the various models. It fits my foot quite well. I have typically reversed the shift pattern on most my bikes. Just feels better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, CBR1100XX or VFR shifter, I'm guessing cause the lever connects straight to the knob on the tranny. Right? And if that's the case, won't any lever that connects straight to the knob work, as long as the lever clears the engine cases?

·
Old & Slow Admin
274 Posts
So, CBR1100XX or VFR shifter, I'm guessing cause the lever connects straight to the knob on the tranny. Right? And if that's the case, won't any lever that connects straight to the knob work, as long as the lever clears the engine cases?
You could even toss on a lever from a dirty bike (with the folding end) if you wanted.

For me, I cannot do the GP shift. I have a few bikes that I cannot make GP so I would rather keep everything simple and run a standard shift pattern. I cannot change the pattern on my supermoto or my NSR50.

Correction, I "could" change it on the NSR with rear sets but that would leave the supermoto/MX bike as my only standard shifting bike....and I ride that one probably the most.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use standard shift on my RC and GP shift on my SV-650. Mostly because I didn't have to buy anything for the SV to make it happen. I use both of these bikes on the track and pretty much had to go GP on the SV because you have to shift that thing 3 times as much (often before completely out of a corner) as the RC on most tracks to keep up with the big boy bikes.

Logic says it would make it easier to up-shift leaning left (and it does) but it really helps even more not having to keep a toe under the shifter when leaning right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a VFR800 shifter installed instead of the stock. It's a 5 minute job.
This is what I did to both my RC and my CBR 929, and I love it. Like someone else said, it feel much more natural to me, and I just like it better. I do know some people that can not stand it though. It's a trial and error thing for the individual to see what they like.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
if i did it, i'd have to switch the other bikes too.....standard shift is just habit now and i'm sure i would mis shift all the time......not someting i'd want to risk on the track.....i'm not racing or competing anyway, so i'm not worried about it. Maybe i'll try it in the future just to see how i like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts