RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant seem to find an answer so I will ask. With stock shock what is the most recommended ride height? Forks above triple height? Is there any way to adjust shock with spacers or whatever? is it needed? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK cool. I will look into that. But, for some reason my forks are 30mm above top triple, set up by PO. Getting new Q3,s so want a good base setup. Only info so far is to set them at 16mm

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
RC723
To get started.
Set you sag first.
Put the tops of the forks flush.
Then make your adjustments.
Agreed...adjust back to OEM settings, then set sag and go from there. Not to insult, but remember to have the bike warmed up to get the most accurate sag settings...and I'm sure someone will post the "sag" video if you request.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
And there it is. He also has a few videos on rebound, etc...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
OK cool. I will look into that. But, for some reason my forks are 30mm above top triple, set up by PO. Getting new Q3,s so want a good base setup. Only info so far is to set them at 16mm
The default (factory) position of the forks is the 1st line from the top of the fork tube flush with the top clamp surface.
It sounds like your forks may be at the default setting.
Nothing bad there, just clarifying a bit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
SubSailor
The first line is 10mm, 2nd line 15mm, 3rd line 20mm, 4th line 25mm.
The OP is 5mm past the last line.
You are correct the default setup is the first line.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just to be clear, factory setting is 1st line from the top. Its an etching in the bronze portion of the forks, not where to bronze meets the blue.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just curious. I have been watching these videos and reading books on suspension setup and how important it is to have all your gear on and being in the riding position when taking your measurements for the various sag/preload settings. I made my adjustments and afterwards I realized my tank was pretty much empty. Made me wonder how much fuel weighs per gallon and how much difference it would make. I found fuel weight to be anywhere from 6.5-8 lbs. Just used 7 lbs as an example and multiplied it by our tank capacity and came up with roughly 33 lbs of fuel in a full tank. To me that seems like a lot of weight on the front of the bike. You would think they would at least tell you to have half to 3/4 of a tank when taking these measurements if just wearing your full gear was that important also. Maybe you guys know if the fuel load really matters or is that already taken into account. Or am I just being to picky about nothing.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Just curious. I have been watching these videos and reading books on suspension setup and how important it is to have all your gear on and being in the riding position when taking your measurements for the various sag/preload settings. I made my adjustments and afterwards I realized my tank was pretty much empty. Made me wonder how much fuel weighs per gallon and how much difference it would make. I found fuel weight to be anywhere from 6.5-8 lbs. Just used 7 lbs as an example and multiplied it by our tank capacity and came up with roughly 33 lbs of fuel in a full tank. To me that seems like a lot of weight on the front of the bike. You would think they would at least tell you to have half to 3/4 of a tank when taking these measurements if just wearing your full gear was that important also. Maybe you guys know if the fuel load really matters or is that already taken into account. Or am I just being to picky about nothing.
For what we normal human folk do with these machines it's minor. If you race. it means a lot. One of the first things I do while racing cars at a strange track (or a familiar one) is measure the fuel consumption. that way I know how to set the chassis and tire pressure for optimum performance at the end of the race (lower weight)

The reason I say for the street it is minor is....are you ever going to measure your fuel for this performance factor or just fill it up and ride on:D

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I usually round the weights of the liquids.
Fuel: 6 lbs/gal, oil: 7 lbs/gal, water: 8 lbs/gal (all based on U.S. gallon).

This is how I rough calculate the dry vs. wet weight of a bike, or if the partial wet weight is stated (oil and coolant, but no fuel).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts