RC51 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so today I decided to take the RC51 out, and ride it to work. I had planned on going in, then making it back home before rush hour hit (was only suppose to be a 2-3 hour day). No such luck there. Left work in the middle of rush hour. I was worried because I have read so many people complaining about their RC overheating when it's hot out, and especially during stop and go traffic riding. I will say it is hot as hell sitting on that thing during stop and go, but my temp never topped 222 degree's. It hoovered between 217-222 while in stop and go. While moving at 40mph plus, it was between 197-205. Did I mention it was 102 degree's today here in Texas? The heat flowing off the bike was insane, but bearable...as long as I didn't lay my leg against the frame that is. It took me almost an hour to get home, about 45minutes of it was in stop and go traffic.

As far as riding around town, I have found that if I keep the RPM around 3500-4500 rpm, the bike is smooth! My gearing is -1 +2 and very easy to keep the RPM there. Yea, it burns more fuel, but did we buy these for economy, or the fact that it is a RC51.... The amount of looks, and nods I got from people was amazing... those Yoshi's really sing when you release the throttle!

Damn I love this bike!

Mo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine got up to 237 the other day in the city with quick lights. It does worry me a little, but until I reach 245 or so Im not going to shut it off. I havent heard once of a head cracking or blowing a gasket from high heat. The fans dont seem to be work a damn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine got up to 237 the other day in the city with quick lights. It does worry me a little, but until I reach 245 or so Im not going to shut it off. I havent heard once of a head cracking or blowing a gasket from high heat. The fans dont seem to be work a damn.
I'm riding again today, and it's another 100+ degree day... still hasn't gone over 222... My fans work, and I know when they do cause I can feel it blowing on my legs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I meant to say worth a damn, cause they dont seem to lower the temp when they are on. They do both click on at about 219 though. Anybody using water wetter or that ice stuff that is suppose to lower the temp a little?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Well I use engine ice, although any coolant should perform similarly.
I'm with Modidy in that my temps don't exceed 221-221 and drop to 205 as the fans run.
The lowest temp I've seen was while out in the countryside where it dropped to 176 during the spring.

When I was refurbing the bike back in '08, I did replace both fans as the left one's bearings were squeaking.

One of the reasons they went with two fans on the SP2s over the SP1's one fan was additional air flow.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I'd get that sweet front setup for the radiators if i had money but i don't. The highest i've seen mine was 227 but other than that it gets to 222 and then goes down, the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put a manual by pass switch in so I can bring the fans on when there's traffic ahead. Couple of years back mine ran stupid hot, found the water pump impeller spinning on the shaft. It was slipping but still moving coolant. I don't know if anyone else has had that problem. good luck

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Ok after a few hot summers here in the Midwest and high humidity I was tired of seeing my temps running 222+. The bike never shut off but I was really worried about those types of temps.
I tore mine down a few weeks ago and installed the SPAL pusher fans on both sides. During stop and go traffic I turn them on with my manual switch and watch my temps drop down to 190 and stay there in town.
Once rolling on the highway I normally turn the fans off and let the air do its thing.
You will need to build brackets but that was easy. My recommendation is lose the factory puller fans and install the SPAL pushers. They were on 34.00 each on EBAY.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Well I use engine ice, although any coolant should perform similarly.
I'm with Modidy in that my temps don't exceed 221-221 and drop to 205 as the fans run.
The lowest temp I've seen was while out in the countryside where it dropped to 176 during the spring.

When I was refurbing the bike back in '08, I did replace both fans as the left one's bearings were squeaking.

One of the reasons they went with two fans on the SP2s over the SP1's one fan was additional air flow.
Here is what the mod looks like. They push 300 Cubic feet per minute (CFM)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
here in colorado , in 95 degree weather my RC gets to 230 plus at stop lights. then levels off at around 200-210 putting at 30-40mph. open roads or hwy it runs 190-200 no different than my R1. I get alittle worried but the Temp light has never come on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm saddened by the fact some of you have to sit in traffic! I think people would literally die from heat exhaustion here in so cal. right in the middle of the highway.

Bike seemed to run cooler after doing a coolent flush but only for a short period then back to 200+.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Critical temperature is 251 deg F. That's when the temp indicator starts blinking.
You see 251, pull it over and let it cool before damage occurs.

Heck my '08 FZ1 routinely sees 218 at lights. And 205 running with traffic.
So it's not much better than my RC51.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I meant to say worth a damn, cause they dont seem to lower the temp when they are on. They do both click on at about 219 though. Anybody using water wetter or that ice stuff that is suppose to lower the temp a little?
I use an automatic fan control switch. Anytime I know I'm gonna be stuck in traffic, I flip the switch and the fans turn on at any temp. The factory setting on the RC for the fans to come on is somewhere in the neighborhood of 210-220; at least that is when I noticed them. With that being said, my RC has yet to reach 200 since the fan control switch addition :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
ive had good luck here in the hot & humid missouri summers. in traffic it runs between 209-219 and the fans kick on and "cool" it down if you call it that. pathetic fans, thats for sure. but riding down the highway, or really anything above 35-40 mph, no matter the rpm, it runs no hotter than 185. usually between 175-180. i always wanted to try some of that radiator ice though. might try :)
yall have fun on your bikes, definently a blast to ride!!!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
well I cured the high temp problem. I found out you could switch the display to show trip miles instead. now I don't think about it and the ride is much more fun. As long as the fans come on and the light doesn't , i am good to go!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts