RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
There isn't one.
You just apply a thin layer of gasket sealer to the mating surface, install the cover and torque it down.
The alternator cover has a gasket, the clutch cover and water pump use 0-rings.
But no gasket for the right engine cover.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
In a nutshell, yeah.
However, try not to scrape the old sealant off. Or if you do, be very careful not to damage the sealing surface.
Instead, try locating some gasket sealer remover.
I can't remember where I saw it, but I made a mental note to give that a shot the next time I had a cover off.
And when you go re-install the cover, only use a thin coat of sealer.
Too much can be as bad as too little.
Yamabond (of course at the Yamaha dealer) is pretty good sealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm going to my first track day on may 15th at vir and wanted to make sure I had/have what I need prior to taking the cover off. It looks like there is a smaller engine cover that connects to a larger, is the same true of both? I think I'm going to yank both and put then back on just to be sure. Also any idea where to get an after market cover? Mine is scratched up pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If you're talking about the clutch cover, it uses an o-ring around the mating surface.
It should be reusable unless it's old and not pliable anymore, or damaged.
the water pump housing also uses an o-ring.
The OEM clutch cover runs about $102 where a CNC milled clutch cover runs from $150-160 I've seen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure it's just an engine cover not water pump or clutch. It's on the right side half behind the fairing and half exposed near shin height when sitting on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Well if it's round and has the word "Magnesium" on it, that's the clutch cover.
The cover that it mounts to is the right engine cover, the one with the oil fill cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts