RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so.... I've used an M6 tap and die set to clean out the threads but at least one of the rotor bolt threads is beyond repair as the bolt just slides in and out.

So my options that I can think of are as follows but if someone can chime in please do.

1. Increase the size to an M7 and use an M7 bolt. (really don't want to do this.)

2. Drill out the threads and buy M6 inserts. (Not sure there is enough room)

3. Use JB metal weld to fill in the hole and then red rill and re-tap. (Not sure if that will work due to the loads put on the rotors)

4. Get a new wheel. (Last resort)

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Incidentally your powder coated discs are going to be a pain in the arse because the buttons for the semi floating discs are all gummed up with powder coat..........

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suggest using a time-sert thread repair kit, we use these on a daily basis at my machine shop, they are a little expensive to buy the kit but they are super strong http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1770BZ1692
Thanks, I'll check this out.

Incidentally your powder coated discs are going to be a pain in the arse because the buttons for the semi floating discs are all gummed up with powder coat..........
I'm not sure what buttons are, but on the back side of the discs I've removed all the paint where it connects to the wheel, I've also sanded the wheel where they contact each other.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The buttons are the parts that join the disc centre to the disc outer (rotor if you prefer)
they are semi floating, this means there is a small amount of movement between inner and outer, often a disc that is felt to be distorted can be just tight bobbins holding the disc out of true, by powder coating the bobbins you have effectively made a solid disc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts