RC51 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 RC will bw here in south korea in about 2 weeks. It has just over 8k miles. when i bought the bike i know full synthetic was put into it but not sure which brand, anyhow i have acess to Royal purple 20w50 or lucas. Both full synthetic. Any ideas as to which one or another brand i should put in over here? Also i plan on changing it about every 3k miles, good or not with that quality oil?....

·
Registered
863 Posts
As long as its the Royal Purple Max-Cycle or the motorcycle specific Lucas oil then your fine. Just make sure its compatible with wet clutches. If you could get a hold of some Honda GN4 synthetic I would recommend that instead.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sorry I mean't GN4 dino oil as its just as good in my opinion. What I meant was if he wants a full synthetic then the Honda HP4S is full synthetic and its pretty good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as its the Royal Purple Max-Cycle or the motorcycle specific Lucas oil then your fine. Just make sure its compatible with wet clutches. If you could get a hold of some Honda GN4 synthetic I would recommend that instead.
What about the 20w50 v-twin motorcycle oil from royal purple?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes it will work. If for some reason your clutch starts acting up I would drain it and try something else. You should be alright.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry I mean't GN4 dino oil as its just as good in my opinion. What I meant was if he wants a full synthetic then the Honda HP4S is full synthetic and its pretty good.
Any experience with the HP4S?
I change my oil once a year as I rarely put over 5000 miles on my bikes a season. I don't do track days and I always run full synthetic!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Haven't tried it yet. Heard good things about it though. I've done good with the GN4. Goin up to the dealer after work to look at an 08 CBR1000RR. Gonna try to score me one of those blow out deals. I need to get some oil for the 51 so if they have the synthetic I might give it a try.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it will work. If for some reason your clutch starts acting up I would drain it and try something else. You should be alright.
I also found Lucas 10w40 high performance motorcycle oil but it is Semi- senthetic? (Meets standards of the manual though)

Which would be the better of the 2? (bike has 8000 miles)

·
Registered
863 Posts
As the posts above state. I prefer GN4 dino oil. I'm not big on synthetics in bikes cause I think the limited power improvement from them is not worth the $$$.

20w-50 is to thick so stick with the 10w-40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts