RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some recent talk about cops on here got me thinking, why not a lounge thread about all of your favorite stories of run-ins with the po-po!

I'll start, late one evening coming home from a friends house on my sv650, about 1am. He lives out in the country, so amazing curvy roads to and from his house. So, there's about a 7 mile stretch of curves that I had done many times before, dumps out on the major highway that runs through Springfield. When I first leave and start into the curves, I see a car pull up behind me, I think nothing of it as I procede to shred the many glorious curves ahead. I don't see the car again, until I hit the highway, and I see three other cars with red white and blue lights flashing all around me. I was already doing 90 ish down the on ramp at this point. Haha, so as I'm pooping my pants, I pull over and take my helmet off, thinking I am going to jail for sure. (I averaged about 80 mph through the whole stretch, couple times hitting 110 in a 35 zone.) I've never been so nervous in my life. Three local cop cars, one state trooper get out of their cars and procede my way. One asks for license and registration, and the others just watch. I give him my papers, and he gives it back to me, then they all start laughing! One guy says, "Man, that was some good riding back there." And the others were like, yea man, nice job. Haha, I couldn't believe they were letting me off! The car that was behind me at the start of the curves was the first cop, he must have tried to catch me the whole time, radioed to the others that were waiting at the end of the stretch timing me through those couple miles to judge my speed. Scariest moment of my life. They let me off, no ticket, no warning, nothing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
i have no stories about the police because i never stop to let them make one.

the only cop that has come up to me asked me when parked "hey man what kinda ducati is that, sounds like a harley had sex with a helicopter"

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
A long time ago I used to stop cops in the UK for speeding. No kidding... :eek:
I'd see them not on an emergency, doing 40mph or so in a 30 and follow them then do EXACTLY what they would do to me... starting with pulling them over.

Then I'd say something like, "Officer, I'm disgusted with your driving. I've just followed you through town in a 30 mph zone and you were doing an indicated 45" and I will be reporting you, etc.

I had one try and tell me he had a licence to drive at whatever speed he felt appropriate, so I challenged him on that. Then he tried to intimidate me by calling a van load of cops, but that just got one more of them reported for using foul language. Shortly after stopping this local bobby in his Panda car, I went to the police station and made a full & formal written complaint. I got a letter of apology from the Superintendent some weeks later.

They can't turn it around and say you were speeding - so they're in a difficult position if they really weren't on an emergency. I'd usually stop them at a traffic light as they waited...

Did this a few times, but the novelty wore off eventually and I realised I was being as much of a hypocrite as they, since I would speed habitually.

I do have a better story of having gotten a cop into quite heavy trouble for harrasment - when I caught him knocking on my door when he was off-duty but in uniform. But it's a long story for another time. Can't say I like the Police much. They're better in Japan than elsewhere, although I prefer to avoid them completely. If I do get stopped I usually get a healthy appetite for humble pie. Yummy yummy! :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Most cops rides motorcycles or at least 75% of the ones I know do. I have stopped motorcycle before just to check out there bike. Cops know that most bikers won't pull over and will try to run, So when one pulls over it's appreciated.

It sounds like the cop you ran into was getting ready for you to run, so when you stopped It really surprise him.
And a little word for all you runners. it's all ways one officer out there that will chase you until the end ( I will let you guess what that is) I don't stop bikers for one reason, some idiot will run and some will die.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Have you ever chopped the throttle doing 50 mph in a 20 mph hairpin ?

Me either ! So as I pick-up throttle on exit and sight the hilly straight road ahead of me the light-rack and windsheild of the cop are confirmed afew hills down the road and only after the turn was completed was I able to reduce speed and un-tuck trying my best to look casual...
He and I pass going opposite directions and I know damn well to keep a keen eye thru the arm pit and into the MR mirror...

SHIT the light-rack just popped-up for a second on a hill behind me F**K there it is again okay time to sit up and look at the cows and stuff like the speedo and mirrors and more cows and POP !!! GOES THE CHERRIES :(:(:(

As quickly as possible I pulled over shut it off and hardly remembered to lower the sidestand and as my helmet came off he was beside me asking me for lic. and ins. as I remained seated on the bike I set my helmet on the ground (Yes for an old guy I am still that flexible:)

I noticed a look on his face when he realized I was not a teenager and in full gear for a reason.

Next came the question...Do-you know why I pulled you over and I said yes sir I took that turn too fast and I hardly ever horse around on the street and only on the track and handed him my license and showed him my race license and insurance and apologized profusely.

He came back and told me I was clocked at 50 in a 30 and to NEVER speed in his area again and to ride safe.

So I took my time gearing-up and putting my things away hoping to god he would leave before the wrath of the SATO's would get him riled and me ticketed thank god he pulled a u turn.
Then I rode home limp dicked on the last early morning country ride I felt like taking.

There is just too much at stake on the street and waaay to much bling on the bike to track or race it so now I am the proud owner of a useless piece of kit that gets dusted and stared at to the point of obsession.

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no stories about the police because i never stop to let them make one.

the only cop that has come up to me asked me when parked "hey man what kinda ducati is that, sounds like a harley had sex with a helicopter"
Ha, thats great. Thats probably the best description of what the rc sounds like.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great story wingnutt, since I have had a couple close calls, and still never got a ticket, I too have quieted my ways. I just dont want to risk it! I have never and will never run from a cop, thats just crazy talk. Even though I know I can outrun them. My town is too small, and I know quite a few of them that go to my church.

Kpowe, I guess your right, they must have thought I was going to run, and probably saw how scared I was and had some sympathy on me! Taught me a lesson for sure. I used to speed all the time back in the day, but I just can't anymore, now having a young child, there's too much else to live for! I do like a nice track day though. :)

Stig, yea I understand what your saying, I too see cops speeding and running lights and stop signs on a weekly basis. It makes me so angry when I see it. I see countless ambulances and police turn their lights on just to get around traffic and what not. I have seen plenty on the phone, texting, eating, etc while driving. It makes me sick. I know everybody makes mistakes but, this is a blatant disregard for what the law is there for. I think if you make the decision to become a cop, and speak the oath to uphold the law, you should follow it to a T, as well as be an example to others! My 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Running from cops, you guys make me laugh. Just stop and use your negotiation skills. It always works for me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Running from cops, you guys make me laugh. Just stop and use your negotiation skills. It always works for me.
The worst you do mate is run a stop sign! That bike of yours has never gone above the speed limit or beyond 3000 rpms. Haha.

I've tormented the police officers back in England too many times to mention. Now I'm a father though and living in the US, I'm a lot more behaved. Too many pigs over here. Cops, Sheriff, Highway Patrol, State Police...land of the free? Pfff. Whatever. lol.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
The worst you do mate is run a stop sign! That bike of yours has never gone above the speed limit or beyond 3000 rpms. Haha.
All this from a dislocated Brit....poppycock you wanker.:D

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Nope never run and always take the tickets...I always dispute though if they want my money they have to prove it, I have the right to my day in court and I always exorcise my right.

Worst run in ever was during the break up of my marriage. I was not living at home and it was August 2008 I was with a friend and asked her to stop at my home so I could grab my 929 Fireblade. I suit up and was pushing the bike out when a cruiser pulls in the driveway. He asks what I'm doing and I say what are you doing on my property. He replies that there is a court order that I am not to enter the premises.

I say bullshit but he insists that he has to detain me until my estranged wife shows up, so I'm handcuffed in the back of a cruiser and it's 28℃ and freaking hot I ask the other officer to turn on the AC but of course it's broken.

20 min later I see my wife show up she speaks with the officers for 15min they point out the hottie that drove me to get my bike and can you figure out what happens? The wife walks up to the cruiser pulls out a piece of paper (court order) slaps it on the window and waves bye-bye...bam 24 hours in a cell.

Now the mix up is the court order a single sheet of paper mixed in the 2.5" stack of papers I was served, I took the stack to my lawyer that day but he was out for lunch. I asked his intern if all was ok for me to get my bike she checks it over and missed the one page. That mistake cost me a night in jail.

What makes it worse or better I'm not sure but one of the sheriff's that picked me up that morning to take me to court happened to be my brother :eek: he was not impressed at first seeing me. Until I had the chance to explain...after that I got treated actually pretty good all things considered.

I even got two lunches that day before court...now about court, well that is another story all to itself.;) This is a story best told with some wobbly pops.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
jesus. im never getting married now. and if i do everything goes in my mothers name. EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Nope never run and always take the tickets.
Agreed! If you wanna play you better be able to pay. You want to kill yourself, that's fine. But don't be so selfish that you would put others at risk instead of paying a fine that you most likely earned.

About the only really good cop story I have was when I bought my RC from my brother. He lives up in the northern part of lower Michigan and to get there I drive through the UP. (upper peninsula) It was during March that I decided to go up in my there in my S-10 and pick up the bike, so there was still a ton of snow everywhere up there. On my way home through the UP I passed a cop. I look in my rear view and I see the cop turn around and follow me. I didn't think he was coming after me because I was positive I wasn't speeding. After about 5 miles the cop hits his lights and pulls me over. I watch him and a guy dressed in street clothes get out of the car. As they start walking towards me I notice them walking slowly looking the bike over for a few seconds. So I roll down my window and the cops asks for my license. He then asks me if I know why he pulled me over, to which I reply no. He laughs and then says him and his buddy just wanted to check out my RC and he hopes it's not an inconvenience. I always enjoy talking bikes so I of course had no problems with this. Turned out both him and his buddy that was on a ride along, :rolleyes: both owned CBR's and said this was the first time they've ever seen a RC51 in the UP.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I first learnt of the Japanese Police's inability to chase fast cars when driving very fast at night. In Tokyo it used to be popular to use the city highways at night for street racing and meeting at rest areas.

So one night was doing over double the speed limit and came across a police car. Before I realized, I'd overtaken them but didn't slow down to find out if they wanted to stop me. I pulled into the rest stop but then thought perhaps I should leave in case they might find me there...

5 minutes down the road I overtook the same police car again at over double the speed limit... and they didn't even bother to chase...:eek::confused:

Other times I had a car try to catch me, but I pulled a gap and they relented. Lights off, finished.

The thing is - in Japan it's considered endangering to other road users to get into chases and radioing ahead to another officer to catch a speeding vehicle is a loss of face since it means the police officer driving is incapable of doing his job and needs to inconvenience another to do it for him. So that's the way it is here. 99% of drivers stick to legal limits - the Japanese tend to follow the rules so there's not such need for policing the roads. They also tend to stay in lane...

I've since come across Police cars dawdling on the highway and as all the traffic slows to stay behind them, I cut through on the bike and as I go past - not too close to them - I open it up. The most response I've had is the lights momentarily come & police car pull out to chase - then they're off within a few seconds and the car pulls back in.

Once at some traffic lights, there was a Police bike parked on the side walk waiting to stop motorists and as I pulled up alongside, I waved to him to go first. He didn't - but I heard his gear engage. Lights changed and the siren came on. My licence plate is horizontal... So I accelerated and cut through traffic. He gave up instantly.

Have also checked the underside of Police Skyline GT-R's (Some years ago!) and they're completely standard - which means no way they'll catch a tuned car or a quick bike that doesn't want to be stopped.

Long may the Japanese Police retain Japanese culture. It works so well.
Disclaimer: The above is pure all fantasy and I'm the real Santa Claus. :D

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Stig...I wish it were like that here. The police have a hate on for all things two wheeled in this province of ours.

40 over the posted gets you a 9 day impound when all said and done amounts to about $3000 with fines, added costs to insurance premiums and the impound fees.

So in the city (which I hardly ever ride) I do the speed limit. But get me out in the canyons and it's shits and giggles all day long. I have run into the police out in the canyons and for the most part they leave us alone.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Lol...that is sooo Indian, everyone of my Indian buddies had done this. Everyone of them.:D
yup! and i bet the few that are divorced left unscathed or even richer haha, you just cant trust women but you can always trust the woman you lived in for 9 months. one of my ex-gf came to my house back in 2011 with her 2 brothers to mess up my bikes and cars after some indian drama, my 5 foot 2 indian mom walked out with my AR15 and held them all at gunpoint till the cops came and charged them up the wazoo (bitch took a sledge hammer to my garage door). they tried to run to their car but the she (as she calls it) "put one in the top cylinder" (racking a round). my mother is the ONLY woman i trust. PERIOD.

for real i saw u a buddy of mine's dad get his rc45 taken by his ex wife even though he had it before he met her. one of the saddest things ive ever seen. the bitch listed all his shit on craigslist the next day and we tried to buy some of the stuff since she didnt know us. by the time we got there the bike was long gone to her new boyfriend (2 months after divorce). i swear i almost knocked the shit out of that guy. im a child of divorce and it 100% messes with you, god forbid i ever have to put my child through that.

i cant tell you how many bikes ive hid in my basement for buddies trying to hide their new purchase from the misses. heck ive even taken fairings off a bike and dropped it at a buddies house so he could tell his wife its a non running project that he got for $500. (2007 cbr1000 for $5k)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Stig...I wish it were like that here. The police have a hate on for all things two wheeled in this province of ours.

40 over the posted gets you a 9 day impound when all said and done amounts to about $3000 with fines, added costs to insurance premiums and the impound fees.

So in the city (which I hardly ever ride) I do the speed limit. But get me out in the canyons and it's shits and giggles all day long. I have run into the police out in the canyons and for the most part they leave us alone.
There are no Police cars patroling roads in the city here.
In Tokyo I'm fairly slow, not overtaking cars at much over 20 mph difference except where there's space. Gotta leave room for (their) error. Good brakes and tires are always essential on any bike - in my book.

On open & country roads it really helps to have a very loud bike too. They just can't miss there's a bike coming towards them.

Someday you'll visit Japan maybe with the Duck. Will make sure to go riding, buddy either on my bikes or rented modern sports bikes. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I more than you can imagine... and not all of them have to do with bikes... and way more than you would think after meeting me. Those will have to wait until after work though.

A quick one: at 18 years old I ran from the police while on my ninja 250, and I got away. That was the last time I did that though. Before that I had done the same thing in a '91 corolla too...

Best to be sneaky and not try to actually outrun them. Both times I just happened to be on a highway that I new very well from taking it to and from school/work. The was highway 202 between Redmond and Snoqualmie in Washington state. Google maps says 21 minutes from my house to school. My record was 12 minutes in the corolla.

Both times it was an officer going the other way at night. On the bike I was doing about 90 when he went by and I saw brake lights and then flashers. Around the next corner before he could catch up there was a turn off and I took it and killed the bike a few seconds later and rolled to a stop while watching the cop fly down the highway. In the car was a similar thing, going up the hill to Snoqualmie falls hauling as much butt as a corolla will haul. there is a turn off right at the top of the hill opposite the hotel with a crest at the top. Get over that and they can't see you and think you went straight.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts