RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this nice gouge in the rear tire:mad:

Bad timing as i just mounted these about 1600mi ago.

And i have a ride coming up in a couple weeks...

Note: screwdriver is a little pocket type;)

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it does not penetrate the cords, you will be fine for a while. The structure of the tire is still intact and your only worry is the eventual rot/rust of the belts in the tire. If it penetrates the cords (and is losing air) you should replace it. What you have is not the same as a hole, if it penetrates the cords.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Does it hold air? If so, I'd run it. But I'll leave that decision up to you.

I've run over stuff before that only penetrated into the tread, and not the inner carcass.

My buddy ran over a big-ass nail (technically a spike) that entered his tread at an oblique angle.
That nail must have been over 6 inches long. He only noticed because it caused an imbalance during the ride. No loss of air occurred amazingly.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I just picked up a 4.5" nail on a brand new Q2's rear...plug patched it myself and put over 700kms on it in one day. I rode the shit out of it, no issues and holding air, it's all in the prep.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it isn't any deeper than the grooves cut in the tire I wouldn't really worry. Well if you aren't doing 100+ mph....
Yes, ill prob get over 100...maybe:rolleyes:
If it does not penetrate the cords, you will be fine for a while. The structure of the tire is still intact and your only worry is the eventual rot/rust of the belts in the tire. If it penetrates the cords (and is losing air) you should replace it. What you have is not the same as a hole, if it penetrates the cords.
It appears to be just shy of penetrating the cords..
Does it hold air? If so, I'd run it. But I'll leave that decision up to you.

I've run over stuff before that only penetrated into the tread, and not the inner carcass.

My buddy ran over a big-ass nail (technically a spike) that entered his tread at an oblique angle.
That nail must have been over 6 inches long. He only noticed because it caused an imbalance during the ride. No loss of air occurred amazingly.
Yes it holds air(checked with soapy water)
SIXTEEN HUNDRED miles?? You got lucky! I got less than 100.
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20410
That sucks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
What did you end up doing? New tire or repair?
New $^%& tire. I think one of the patches that installs from inside the tire would've worked fine for me (non-racer), but I figured since the tire was coming off anyway, and being done by a pro since I don't have the tools (or desire), might as well just bite the $^%&ing bullet & replace it. Yeah it sucked.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New $^%& tire. I think one of the patches that installs from inside the tire would've worked fine for me (non-racer), but I figured since the tire was coming off anyway, and being done by a pro since I don't have the tools (or desire), might as well just bite the $^%&ing bullet & replace it. Yeah it sucked.
Well at least your handling it well:D

I kid i kid:cool:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Why not plug patch it and be done with it? There is still lots of life in that tire if you're not tracking it.

I have literally plug patched over hundreds of tires with never an issue, they don't blow out and if they leak air after then replace it.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Why not plug patch it and be done with it? There is still lots of life in that tire if you're not tracking it.

I have literally plug patched over hundreds of tires with never an issue, they don't blow out and if they leak air after then replace it.
Hmmm....where have I heard this before?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think ill run it for now and reassess after i put a few miles on it.

For all i know, it could have been there for several hundred miles already!?

Considering i dont track it, or typically ride very aggressive. I like the plug/patch idea:)

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Just the feeling of damaging a fairly new tire just sucks:(....which is why it would be nice to have a road hazard warranty....but they are gimmicks:rolleyes:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think ill run it for now and reassess after i put a few miles on it.

For all i know, it could have been there for several hundred miles already!?

Considering i dont track it, or typically ride very aggressive. I like the plug/patch idea:)
That's what I would suggest ... it's just that I'm a hypocrite - couldn't stand to do it myself :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts