RC51 Forums banner

Running too Rich

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  yellow00tlr 
#1 ·
I purchased my 02 RC51 last week from a guy who only put 480 miles on it and just let it set for a few years. I am now having problems where the bike is running extremely rich. I completely siphoned out the tank and ran the bike out of the bad gas. I also put in new plugs hoping that the computer would correct the gas exchange. The bike will stall out at a complete stop or when I approach a red light. I am not for sure if I have clogged injectors but would appreciate any advise from someone who has experienced these same issues. Also, what is the cost for this issue and will I be able to do it myself or should I let the honda mechanics tackle it.

#2 ·
Took the bike to honda and found out that the fuel pump regulator went bad and was pumping to much fuel pressure. It was pumping 85 psi when it should pump 50 psi causing the bike to run rich and stall out when the bike warmed up. I am just thankful it is only a $120 fix.

#3 ·
The bike came out of the shop a couple of days ago and is running like it should. Thank goodness it was just a minor fix. The fuel regulator was responsible for the stalling out when I came to a complete stop and the rich exhaust smell. Now it is time for the sprockets. What are the benefits of vortex vs. AFAM? Can't decide which company to go with. And will my stock chain fit with a 15/42 set up? The chain only has 1100 miles on it and I hate to dispose of it.

#6 ·
Does your bike have a tendency to stall out on you when you come to a complete stop? My bike ran just fine when it was cold but when it warmed up it would start to flood itself. The fuel pump was pumping way to much fuel and my gas mileage was horrible as well. The honda engineers advised my mechanic to check out the fuel regulator since the bike has been sitting for so long, and since the fix, the bike has been running great.

#10 ·
MY 2001 is doing the same thing and I have been banging my head against a wall to figure it out but I am going to replace my regulator and see if that works. I will let you know but thank you if this solves my problem-very embarrassing to have your bike die everytime you stop.

#11 ·
yellow,

I finally got a chance ($) to work on mine this weekend and i found a couple of things:
1) I was never happy with the way the bike started (battery sounded week) so i took it and tested it it was bad
2) I changed the plugs wow($$$) big difference
3) i installed a power commader for now I am happy with the way my RC is performing, but will let you know in a later post but i would like to know how the fuel reg change does and if you dont mind how much a new reg cost and how long it takes to get one.

#12 ·
I put it on last night and it runs much better, am going to put the plastic and everything back on the bike and ride it tomorrow. The part cost around $50.00 and took a week to get here from the dealer. I let it idle for a little bit last night and reved it up and am not getting the rich fuel smell I was getting before, was actually running clean and the warmer it got I had to adjust the idle down so looks like the problem is solved. Will let you guys know more later but thanks again for the help, would have never guessed that this would be the problem.

#14 ·
Thanks again for solving the problem and making my wife happy about her bike again. Went for a ride today and she was grinning ear to ear, bike does not die at stops and she said is running much better. The part # is 16740-mcf-013, took me about a half hour to change it out. Hardest part is you have to move the airbox up out of the way alittle to get to the part but not that hard to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.