RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up and RC, but it needs a little work due to standing in a garage for a few years unused.

Gas tank has some rust in it, noting crazy but enough to warrant a cleaning. I've watched several youtube videos ranging from white vinegar to sand to muriatic acid. Has anyone done their tanks? If so, what method would you recommend?

TIA

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
When I bought my 500 Ascot from a neighbor a few years back, it had been sitting in his garage unused for 6 or 7 years. Gasoline in the tank looked like pickle juice. Had to remove the carbs and sent them to be sonically cleaned, and serviced. (They look brand new now!) I purchased an after market exhaust for it, along with a K&N air filter. Here's where the real fun stuff came. The air box had a wasp's nest inside, the type built out of mud, about the size of an orange. I'm taking the stock exhaust off, and I hear this rattling sound coming from inside. Sounds like heavy rust or something. I turn the pipe up to shake it out, and here comes a shitload of dry dog food pouring out! Mice in his garage had been getting into his kitchen apparently, and stealing dry dog food out of his Rottweilers food dish, then stashing it inside the exhaust system! I think I counted nearly 60 pieces of dry dog food! I thought "What's next? A rattlesnake living under the seat or something?".

Luckily I didn't have rust in the tank as you do. The tank was almost full, and the gas had turned to basically varnish. In a way, it protected the metal to a point. Just had to get it flushed out real good! I did one of those "Kreem" tank kit deals on an old Kawasaki H1 25 years ago or so. That was a disappointment. I'm sure they have way better products out there today.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Never really had to deal with rust inside the tank. I would try a few different methods and see what works best. What I did do for my Aprilia Mille R was seal the tank and highly recommend doing it after you clean it out. This stuff is awesome. The late Mille's plastic tanks would warp from ethanol and eventually leak. This sealer was the fix.

Gas Tank Sealer - Caswell Inc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for chiming in guys. The rust is not horrible, from the looks it's all surface rust. I believe I will start with the most eco friendly method and that would be to soak it in white vinegar. If that doesn't clean it well enough, I will look into stronger solutions.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
No issue, let us know how it turns out. i'm interested to hear what actually works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rust inside the gas tank is a bummer. If you don´t do anything about it, it will eventually go through to the outside and then it is a write-off. An old remedie is believe it or not to pore a couple of litres of Coke in the tank (or some other suitable rust clearing agent) with a sufficient amount of small ballbearing-balls. Shake it around until the bearings have don their job of like grinding off the rust. If you are lucky enough to have got rid of the rust, never leave the tank standing even half full, always have it topped up especially over winter months.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Nice, Jondog. That's good info. That tank turned out nice for just a vinegar treatment and mystery oil.
I don't think I mentioned it in the Goldwing thread, but I used a sack full of 1/4 inch washers and nuts with penetrating oil as an abrasive inside the tank. Cleaned that all out, then let the tank soak in vinegar for a couple days, then used the washers and penetrating fluid again, then a final wash, dry, and spill a little Marvel mystery oil in the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts