RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
superbike practice at road america today shows how the mighty have fallen. From 1st to 8th is over 4 second difference. to compare the WSB boys 1st to 10th, less than a second. AMA= bad racing, bad leadership, just bad. We actually elected the officials who signed over the racing to DMG. We let this happen! The AMA is a total joke and im proud that i have cancelled my membership to this joke of an organization.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I must admit that I've only partially watched one race since DMG took over.
However I do try and watch MotoGP and WSBK (which is very exciting this year).
I've only watched one Moto2 race, and it was quite entertaining.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the moto2 race was crazy! i loved it. im really looking forward to the motogp race in italy. If rossi does not win here or at least crash in the lead, his season may be over

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, talk about picking the wrong weekend/year to complain about AMA/DMG racing not being close enough. I'm not sure you could have been more wrong if you tried. Here's the margin of victory from the 4 races at Road America:

Superbike Race 1: Photo finish
Sportbike Race 1: -0.008 seconds
Superbike Race 2: -0.177 seconds
Sportbike Race 2: -0.275 seconds

All 4 races went down to the final laps and it was some of the best racing I've seen all year. AMA/DMG racing has been very close this year, which should have been obvious to anyone paying attention.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, talk about picking the wrong weekend/year to complain about AMA/DMG racing not being close enough. I'm not sure you could have been more wrong if you tried. Here's the margin of victory from the 4 races at Road Atlanta:

Superbike Race 1: Photo finish
Sportbike Race 1: -0.008 seconds
Superbike Race 2: -0.177 seconds
Sportbike Race 2: -0.275 seconds

All 4 races went down to the final laps and it was some of the best racing I've seen all year. AMA/DMG racing has been very close this year, which should have been obvious to anyone paying attention.
speaking of paying attention, i was talking about fridays practice times. The sportbike races have been great. The superbike races margin of victory was close but maybe you should look at the margin from 1st to 4th, 5th. We could line everyone up on scooters and get very close racing but superbike racing should be cream of the crop factory bikes and riders. It was getting old watching Mladin whip everyones ass's all them years but when you went to the races their wher 20 full size transporters in line with 12 factory bikes on the grids. After years of the AMA gridding A+ quality riders who always had a chance to win a wildcard round at WSB events to Josh Hayes being the star attraction.

·
Registered
170 Posts
speaking of paying attention, i was talking about fridays practice times. The sportbike races have been great. The superbike races margin of victory was close but maybe you should look at the margin from 1st to 4th, 5th. We could line everyone up on scooters and get very close racing but superbike racing should be cream of the crop factory bikes and riders. It was getting old watching Mladin whip everyones ass's all them years but when you went to the races their wher 20 full size transporters in line with 12 factory bikes on the grids. After years of the AMA gridding A+ quality riders who always had a chance to win a wildcard round at WSB events to Josh Hayes being the star attraction.
Who cares if practice times are close? Seriously, complaining about practice times? The racing in the superbike class is closer now that Mladin and Spies are gone, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say there either. There's no question the margin from 1st to 4th or 5th is the closest it's been in a long time.

It's also laughable to think the AMA used to be full of riders that were potential WSBK wildcard winners. Yes, the lack of factory support is an issue, but it's hard to see that improving until the economy does.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lets see, duhamel won wsb as a wildcard. Chandler podium as a wild card. Mladin podium as wildcard. Yates was so close, heartbreaker. Bostrom won wsb races, Spies world champ. Russell world champ. Laughable? Im not bitchin about the times, im bitchin about the talent! You wanna see close racing? Go watch WERA or CCS. Thats some exciting racing. I know the economy had some to do with it but the DMG and AMA have fucked the series maybe permantly. Remember when the Daytona 200 was almost the most important race of the year? Second to the TT and 8hrs of course. Now its a joke

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I will say after the showing at Heartland and how AMA and DMG bowed to certain riders since they did not like certain things. The AMA/DMG had sent their elected safety riders who rode the track two different times and gave the track its blessing. Once all the riders were here the track managers made even more changes after the first day of practice to satisfy the riders. Still certain ones were catered too. I volunteered to help with Tire inspections and you would report violations for certain teams and the officals looked the other way while other teams struggled.
I was not shocked to see Honda pull out just as Chrysler did many years ago when NASCAR catered to Chevys.
I have since subscribed to both MOTOGP and WSB and enjoy the racing. Hopefully this year I will be able to make the Indy trip.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was at topeka also and was a little ashamed at the turnout. Topeka was my first racing exp. in 1990 and wow was that a show!

·
Registered
170 Posts
AMA/DMG do have some problems, no doubt, but it seems they are improving. The one thing they have been able to get right is keeping the racing competitive.

As far as WSBK wild card rides go, the ones everyone is bringing up were a decade ago, and I'd argue the difference with today riders has more to do with the increased strength of the WSBK series relative to almost all other national series.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree the WSB is very deep now. All i can bring up are about a decade ago because it has not even been an option because of the tire spec rules and the two series not being at the same venue. As much as we disagree on the subject, im glad someone with an IQ on racing is on here to argue with! i just hope that we still have our national series in the future. By the way im glad i did not bring up Fred Merkel or Doug Polen, then id really be showing my age!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Late to the party, but interesting topic. I haven't been watching the national series for long (5-6 years), but what I've seen lately is the privateers seeing more success (i.e. Jordan and Pat Clark). I know Jordan took years to get here, w/o a lot of help from Suzuki.
I didn't like watching Mladin winning all those years, but it was definitely fun to root for someone to beat him.
It's hard for me to not pull for Hayes, he's a good sport and doesn't bs when he loses.

I'm curious to hear more about this 'special treatment', discussed earlier in this thread though.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I've heard a lot of bad talk about AMA lately, seems a lot of riders are disappointed with the series.
i thought it was bad when Buell was allowed to race the 1125 in sportbike against inline 600s, now Harley has started an XR1200 series. i think favoritism is an issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As bad as the Ama is at least you can watch a race in your backyard in the states on any given weekend, versus watching gran premio on tv from your lazyboy...

I'm planning a special trip this year to see the Dayton 200 in March and the to Indy to see MotoGP in August... So I guess I'll share my thoughts in August..lol

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I stopped watching when Big Red pulled out major factory support (Due to American Honda's monumental failure to develop their own bike...they were being hand cuffed and nothing but GSXR's and Yama's were doing most of the winning. Kawasaki has really never put their heart into road racing in the US. (Or elsewhere) Its still racing but its kind of like Formula 1...there is a "Factory Class" and then there are others. (But worse.)

Erion, Graves and Emgo at least made things more interesting.(Until the factories stepped in.) I guess Kevin Erion kicking everyones ass back in the late 90's kind of pissed off the factories.

I made the trip to Mid-Ohio every year and Daytona about every 3rd year. That stopped about 8 years ago, it is just not the same anymore. All manufacturers need to be represented or just have WERA or Formula US take the lead. (thats some good racing if you every get a chance. Road Altanta is a good venue)

Dare I say hire someone like Joie Chitwood to turn this around. He did an excellent job in bringing F1, NASCAR and MotoGP to Indy.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hiring somone like Chitwood would be a dream come true for US fans but that would mean DMG admits it was wrong...they wont be happy until bikes are racing 400 miles in parade formation around ovals

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
hiring somone like Chitwood would be a dream come true for US fans but that would mean DMG admits it was wrong...they wont be happy until bikes are racing 400 miles in parade formation around ovals
Chitwood would add that shred of credibility the the AMA has been missing. That guy could sell vinyl siding to someone who ownes a brick house!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts