RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bike up on stands at the moment and have taken measurements of the suspension unloaded prior to setting the sag.

What do you guys recommend setting the sag at for fast road riding only? I was thinking of setting it to 30mm

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
367 Posts
How do you compensate for this?
Racetech sells modified top out springs but you need some skill with cartridge forks to install. Kyle Racing can modify your stock springs and revalve your fork at the same time and you will thank them every time you ride the bike. Mike at Kyle Racing can tell you how but as I said you need some skills with disassembling a cartridge fork with a oil lock on the damper rod. It’s a little tricky and replacement parts are hard to come by if you screw it up. Best bet, send them to Kyle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the 20mm rework kit from Kyle, but how does the top-out mod change the way you measure sag? Does the top-out spring prevent you from getting a measurement of the fork fully extended? If yes, how do you compensate for the difference? Is Wibbly's comment only for those that have the stock setup and I am getting a correct static sag reading?
From KyleUSA: 20mm Ohlins Valving Upgrade consists of replacing the current valve spec to a much better spec with Ohlins parts, polishing the fork tubes to reduce friction, modifying the top-out springs, replacing the forks springs, new preload spacers and Ohlins fork oil.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes the long top out spring prevents full extension. If you have the fork assembly off at some point you can pull the upper against the spring pressure and feel it extend. It’s a pretty beefy spring. If you have the kit installed by Kyle you should be able to use the recommended sag which I think is 35mm but if you’re fine tuning the fork after the mods Mike can walk thru the best setup for your particular bike and riding.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
because of the top out springs you just measure rider sag, not total sag.

you can't just take the front wheel off the ground, measure, then set down, measure, then put rider, measure. you'll never have any free sag because of the top out springs. so you're just looking for rider sag and nothing else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts