RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search = fail

So, I have sato High mounts with maybe 8000 miles on them.

1.) When should I consider repacking them and with what material?

(I don't want to wait until they start getting hot and jacked up.)

2.)When I repack them I want to install some high quality heat shield material on the inside, Is this good idea?

3.) I have free access to a very high end maching shop (Father in law) and was considering shortening both cans 4 inches (DON'T YELL AT ME!!!) and want any opinions on drawbacks of this; too loud?, burn out packing fast?, ruin value?, re-mapping/changes to performance?

Thank guys, you are always a wealth of information!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Maybe Duckhunter or sbkdrew will chime in - they've done a few of these Sato repacks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search = fail

So, I have sato High mounts with maybe 8000 miles on them.

1.) When should I consider repacking them and with what material?

(I don't want to wait until they start getting hot and jacked up.)

2.)When I repack them I want to install some high quality heat shield material on the inside, Is this good idea?

3.) I have free access to a very high end maching shop (Father in law) and was considering shortening both cans 4 inches (DON'T YELL AT ME!!!) and want any opinions on drawbacks of this; too loud?, burn out packing fast?, ruin value?, re-mapping/changes to performance?

Thank guys, you are always a wealth of information!
Thanks Duck,that helps with what material, what about my other questions sir?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
A couple guys have shortened a set of Sato's. But I can't remember if they shortened the CF ones or Ti.
I don't see any reason why you can't shorten them a little bit. You already know the things to watch out for, so go for it!

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
The heat shielding layered once on the inside has not caused any problems that I am aware of yet. I have done two sets with it and now another set from RCDEVIL as well.

Sbkdrew can provide whatever end strap replacements you need in sets of 4. I have quite a few I bought from him as well. A+ seller here and a very valuable member of the close knit community we have.

Best to repack them as soon as you feel a hot spot and best to inspect often on older cans, even more so when unsure of the packing condition.

IMHO, I would leave the Banzai length alone. They are already quite short and unless there is damage to them it is not needed and you will gain volume with a shorter can but loose some of that " deep down from below and far thunder " a long can will produce. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts