RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very stupid simple question but im just curious. I know what carbon fiber is and what titanium is but my question is what is the difference as far as the sato exhaust goes? Does one make more power than the other (i dont think so). Does one sound better than the other? Does one last longer than the other? What is the difference besides looks.

Obviously carbon fiber would be a tad lighter.
Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
As with all exhausts, the difference is mainly decorative.
As for longevity, I'd choose the titanium unit.
The reason is that, while I have carbon-fiber mufflers (and they looked real good when new), their appearance degrades over time with sun, ozone, and heat.
Some have higher quality epoxy in the matrix that maintains it's appearance longer.
I have seen degradation in appearance in mine in just one year of daily use.
Most manufacturers have repair kits that replace the outer skins due to damage, etc.
I plan to replace mine with titanium next time.

The weight difference is minimal. The outer skin is not very thick.
As for sound, the Sato's sound fantastic. Deep and throaty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the difference between the round and oval cans? Anything besides the fact that one is round and one is oval? One sound different? More power? Or is it all just looks... Which one is standard?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Theres not going be be any difference in power between the carbon fiber and titanium exhausts oval, tri oval or round. You pick what you want for the look...many aftermarket exhausts are going to perform the same some may have different tones. You just gotta find what your looking for...Like subsailor said carbon is lighter and I think more 'trick' but it doesnt hold up well. Titaniums actually a brittle metal too but holds up better than carbon fiber on exhausts...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts