RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my RC a couple of years ago with near perfect Sato Ti banzia's. It has always bugged me though that one of the cans was crooked compared to the other side.

So I pulled the exhaust thinking I could just rotate one of the cans. Nada. They will not budge from the mids.

I tried hitting the mids as much as I felt comfortable with a dead blow hammer. I also tried using one of those strap type oil filter wrenches to twist the can from the mid. Nothing worked.

I'm hesitant to use heat as I don't want to discolor the Ti. Could they have been glued together with some sort of exhaust sealant? Based on my impressions of the original owner, I would say these were likely dealer installed. Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice.

Josiah

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
There ruined, Sell the set to me....

Really- carbon has built up between the pipe and the cans.. I would use a heat gun to heat (HOT) the connecting joints of the exhaust.. Then use the product SEAFOAM- DeepCreep/Penetrating oil.. Let it soak.. REpeat process until you can separate..
IMHO.. I WOULD NOT use any hammers, Maybe a RUBBER dead blow mallet...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dammit! I knew it... Send me your shipping address :D

To clarify, I did use a rubber dead blow mallet to tap the mids.

OK, Seafoam. I'll try that, thanks.

By heat gun, do you mean an electric gun? I have a cutting torch with a heating tip but was thinking that would be too much. I also have a propane plumbers torch. How much heat does it take to damage the Ti and or the packing material?

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Josiah

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Yes the electric heat gun, and direct the heat at the joints.. Titanium is quite tuff. and yet I would get the metal hot enough to expand/ probably 100-120 degrees.. Not smoking, but hot enough that you can't touch..
Hold the exhaust where the SEAFOAM will run down into the joints..
Put your leather work gloves on, make sure that the glove palms are clean..
After probably the second or third process.. You ought to try and twist the pipes by hand-with your gloves on -and while the pipes are still warm..
good luck,
and you do have an alternative, I will be waiting for a PM... Ha Ha Ha

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I got a heat gun from harbor freight for about $25, and I gotta say, its pretty decent. It has about 8 setting, starting at about 120F. goes up to 780F. That's a good range and should do the job for you. Try to remember that you only want to heat the outside pipe. To hopefully expand a little quicker than the inside one will. That's when you should twist it apart. So be aware if you think the inner pipe may be getting as hot as the outer one. Hope that make sense.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Hey, Madbuyer.. Are you going to be at Indy MotoGP 2012?? I think it would be as postive time to meet someone with a realism personality......Ha Ha Ha

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hey, Madbuyer.. Are you going to be at Indy MotoGP 2012?? I think it would be as postive time to meet someone with a realism personality......Ha Ha Ha
Given I only live 20 minutes and have never missed one, yes I will be there come hell or high water....Wait to we sit down and I get some of that liquid personality in me....thats when I get real likeable:eek::D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have Ti high mounts and mine is a little cockeyed...Not bad but a little off..Im cool with it...If someone checks out my bike, the RC is soooo much eye candy they would NEVER notice! I would just leave it be bro..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts