RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I picked up an 03 RC51 a couple of weeks ago. I was working in the yard one day in Sept. and a motorcycle turned the corner and accelerated down the street. I knew from the sound that it was a V-Twin and it got my instant attention. Trying to remember my quick view of it, I went online and soon found that it was indeed an rc51. I had never heard of it before that. I've been a Harley rider since the early 90s but the harleys I own (or have ever owned are Shovel heads). I rode sport bikes in the 70's and 80's, but this is something else. Anyway, It is November and I'm in Michigan so it is now bedded down for the Winter. I took a very short ride on it on the day I got it and I think it raised my blood pressure, and an eyebrow, a point or two. I figured what the hey, you're never too old for something this cool, a very nice piece of engineering. I will definitly have some questions in the future. As for now, just want to say hello to everyone.
Bill

·
Registered
422 Posts
gd grab man....welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
awesome story. im sure youll love it. welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcomne to the forum. It's too bade you have to waite so long to enjoy your new toy! I had mine out today. It was about 50 degrees here in Seattle and dry for the most part. Felt good to get out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
glad another rc found a happy home! enjoy and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
389 Posts
that is a good story!
as for waiting til spring, i suffer with you. i just bought a 1098 and got it out for a brief ride around town this afternoon. i froze but still enjoyed it. next year i'll get the thing out through the country side, as you need to with that rc51.

i'm surprised nobody's asked yet... pics???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone. I didn't take any pics before I put it away. I have it stored a couple of miles from where I live. If I get a chance to get over there, this week, i'll take a couple of pics.
I have a few questions to ask about this particular bike, but I guess I should do that in the general forum. Thanks again for the welcome this looks like it will be a fun and informative place.

·
Senior Member '09 Dec BOTM
190 Posts
Hello and welcome also of me.

Hallo und willkommen auch von mir.

·
190 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
nice video man....what modification u have on the bike?...

·
190 Posts
nice video man....what modification u have on the bike?...
PC III R.
do-it-yourself 2-1 with Akrapovic.
Original air box without Filterparonen but with no Toil filter mat.opening air box#43-#45
I do not have any more.

PC III R.
Eigenbau 2-1 mit Akrapovic.
Originale Airbox ohne Filterparonen, sondern mit No Toil Filtermatte.
Ich habe nicht mehr.

·
190 Posts
One (Durbahn) is becoming air box built-inly now.
The original undercarriage by Öhlins revised.

Jetzt wird eine (Durbahn) Airbox eingebaut.
Das originale Fahrwerk von Öhlins überarbeitet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I've taken some time and read through some threads here including the classifieds, and found the answers to a couple of questions that I had. I have to admit that I did not do any homework before buying my bike and I knew nothing about RC51s before I did. Now I'm not quite sure what I've got! My RC51 is a clear titled 03, but it has a Hayden tank on it, flush front turn signals and a zero gravity windshield. It appears that the tail has been modifyed as well because there is no standard type tail light or turn signals like i've seen in pics of other bikes. There are two separate lights faired into the underside of the tail that also serve as the rear turn signals. It has stock exhaust. There are no indications that it has been down. There are no scratches on the frame or anywhere else. I took a few pictures earlier in the week, but I shot them at too high a resolution and they are too large to post. We got 15 inches of snow this morning so I won't be rolling it out for any more pics soon. I will try to reduce the size of what I have so I can post them. The guy I bought it from claims he did no mods and says it is just as he got it. Maybe it's a parts dog.... It has just over 12K on the clock but it's really clean and it runs great. I need to get a cowl panel, because it came with a rear seat and that has to go!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to the forum, bought one for the wife and she will not let me touch it, except to maintain or wash it. Sounds like you have an undertail, this is a very common mod but sounds like you have a great bike. You will need to post pics as soon as you can and there are a great group of guys on here that can answer any question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I need help. I've got a few resized pictures on Flickr and I want to post them here. When I pick the insert image icon and put in the url, that's what I see, the url. Can someone tell me how this works, or direct me on the site where it's explained? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts