RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting some time to document things on my evolution. I say evolution because, if I am able to keep up with this thread - I am sure we will all see that I change my mind...... alot :D Little details here and there tend to get changed up based on my tastes and I like to try things out which don't always keep me happy long term. I know everyone here likes pics, so I will do my best to keep things documented - although I will admit I tend to do lots of things and then come back with pics later. Busy schedule means you do what you can - when you can.

So - lets start with some pictures of the base bike. 2003 that I picked up locally. You can see the original text on that subject here

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34522

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Being winter and pretty darn chilly for the most part, not much to be done except think about warmer weather........ and shop! I have started gathering the necessary parts to make this bike my own - meaning build it to suit my desires. I will admit - only having 2700 miles on it caused me to think about putting it in the corner of the garage and throwing a cover on it just as it sits, but then again, that isn't me. So off to the drawing board. I have been at this long enough to know where the best money to be spent is.

Suspension Suspension Suspension - so this is where I started.

Had to beat the bushes a little bit, but here are pics of the first two purchases I made. All used, but REALLY darn good condition parts to start the ball rolling in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having owned an RC previously, I knew pretty much what I was looking for in terms of basics.... Miscellaneous and sundry items so I ordered a few little things with some left over gift cards from X-mas.

520 conversion
Renthal 15/42 and EK chain (same I run on my R1) and a pair of proton flush mounts.

While I was waiting on the suspension components to arrive I also picked up a pair of classic carbon Sato lowmounts in darn near pristine condition and a pair of sbkdrew's hangars to mount them with. I like the Jardine RT-1 high mounts, but - at the same time they weren't what I had been thinking in my head while I was planning this thing out. So they will be for sale shortly I imagine. THIS is one place where I can't seem to get my mind settled LOL.

Picked up a pair of MINT Gilles adjusters from a recent sale as well.

Finally in this post - A complete CBR600 coil and wiring harness to convert over to the COP setup. This will allow me to run an HM quickshifter as a stand-alone system.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some very nice stuff there. It didn't take you long. Look forward to the build.
Indeed - I got very lucky in a couple instances. Right place/right time. Seems to be the theme on this project anyway.

So I am in what I would call "basic cleanup" mode right now. Spent a few evenings last week taking it down to mechanicals and pulled the Jardine exhaust.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Next step was to execute the pair removal and flapper removal. Not a lot of pics here, but I did find one interesting thing...... While removing the intake flapper and associated hardware, I found the line running from the vacuum tank to the throttle bodies completely pinched off between one of the mounting brackets. The original owner had never pulled the plastics on this bike. Factory error? Whatever the root cause, even after pulling the line off the bike I could not get ANY air through it whatsoever. It seems that this motor has possibly never made full power as the system was completely non-functional with that pinched line.

It's been about 7 years since I did this on my SP1 and I quickly remembered that to complete both of these modifications really requires arms the shape of a 10 year old girl and freakishly long fingers - neither of which I have so there were a couple of bloody paper towels and I look a bit like having tried to bathe a cat.........But they're done ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saturday was rear suspension day. Pulled the OEM shock and link. Replaced with the Ohlins HO204 and Kyle link.

I can't rememer where I saw the picture of someone using a step ladder straddling the bike and a couple ratched tie downs, but that is the method I used to suspend the rear since I still have oem rearsets and folding pegs. GOD BLESS YOU!! works like a champ and saved me a ton of time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final step at this point was to mount up sbkdrew's brackets and mock up the Satos. Very pleased with how this turned out. Quick sound check - big grin :D

Last post as I am currently waiting on parts to move any further forward. I want to complete most of the work on the front end at the same time that I pull the forks.

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That thought has crossed my mind ;) At some point I may hit you up for a measurement or two. Maybe next re-pack.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
how long are these vs the banzai length?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure to be honest - I can measure mine if someone can provide the Banzai length. Cannister length only - not the endcaps tip to tip.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
banzai length is 38cm

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bike is looking great Scott, one hell of a job grabbing all those nice bits. I can't remember, did you have plans on upgrading any of the braking components? How about the stock paint scheme, I could see you doing a nice race rep?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Matt. And thanks for letting me pick your parts stash a bit :)

Its hard to say where I will end up at this point on brakes. You've seen what my natural tendency on brakes is so..... it's likely at some point I will go there, but it's not a priority right now. Hadn't thought about paint much. Definitely not in the cards for the factory plastics anyway. If at any point I do down that road it will be on a set of painters or track fairings.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Thanks! I do like them very much. My only wish is that they were a couple inches shorter - stop just short of the rear of the bike vs extending all the way to the tip of the tail.
Don't do it...They look killer full length and sound deeper, I know I have 3 sets of Satos and the full lengths sound deep and menacing, so much better than the banzai.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts