RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i'm thinking about purchasing the the coil stick kit from scotts. I've heard of guys doing this with 2007 CBR parts. Has anyone fitted this to their bike or have any insight into it. Better start up? more reliable then the coils? what exactly does it replace and what is the install like? any knowledge on this system would be appreciated.thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Weight loss and newer generation coils. Scott always makes great stuff. It's a pretty easy mod I've heard good things about. Hit Scott up, he's a great guy and always willing to help RC fans! :)

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, i may just end up sending him an email. thanks for the help, Ben.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
talked to Scott. here is his reply for anyone maybe looking at this mod or may just be interested.

I have been running this kit for 3 years with no problems. The bike seems to start easier to me and changing plugs is a lot easier since the wire unplugs from the coil which is hard plastic and not soft rubber. The kit weigh 9oz less and take up a 1/4 of the space and comes with everything needed to use including instructions which isnt very hard to install at all since you only have to remove your old coils and hook up 4 wires. The kits are in stock and can be bought at my online store at http://store.scottsms.com/RC51-2000-2006_c82.htm?page=all

i'm going to purchase the kit and will post any significant updates.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I did this mod during the winter, havent ridden much with them yet, and did a bunch of other mods at the same time, so cant really tell if they made a difference themselves.

Other than saving some weight, and getting rid of those damn coils for a cleaner install.
Wrapped the stick coils with some rubber-tape because they didnt seal against the engine. Maybe not a big deal, but did it anyway for ease of mind.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks for the tip, i'll be setting mine up in a few days

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed these in my RC51 racebike at the beginning of last season. Very easy installation, cleans up the wiring, removal of the heavier coils always a nice thing. When possible, its always nice to upgrade to newer, proven components. I did not have any problems starting all last season.

And yes, Scott is definitely a great guy to deal with!

www.gdracing-canada.com/RC51.html

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was looking over he parts last night, very clean application.....tidys everything nicely

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I am running it and am loving it. Dont have the bulky coils anymore and it allows more room to move hands around in most cases. GF bought them for me at Christmas :) If you can solder then it is a piece of cake......... I was doing valve adjustments when I installed them took all of maybe 10 minutes to install. It took longer to remove the old coils than soldering the coil sticks in place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
does anybody remember the plug part number? I purchased '07 cbr600 coils, anybody who's done this knows that the plug has a different tip.

Thanks,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nevermind... search was my friend. IK27 Denso plugs have the screw on tip. NGKs for our bikes do not.
Taken Back... Misinformation... Still had to grind the Denso's by hand!

Does anybody know of a plug for the RC with the removable tip? I have an '04.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts