RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just installed a Scotts steering damper today (Christmas present to myself :D).
I searched this site for similar post but I don't see one so here goes...
If you ride with a Scotts on an RC51-any year, what settings would you suggest as a good starting point ? including the high speed & small side adjustments if poss.
My application: street & track. Suggestions for either or even both would be cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will quickly get a feel for what settings you like. I have one on my street legal supermotard...I learned quick what works good. You cant hurt starting off at the lowest setting but be careful when you start clicking down on the damping......the steering can get so sluggish it will tremendously affect handling, its especially easy to dump a bike at low speeds (under 10 MPH) when you have the damper maxed. Start small and gradually work your way up you will quickly find the setting thats 'too much.'

·
Registered
23 Posts
I left the side adjustments stock, and up two on the top adjuster. Mainly do road, but found the handling a bit funny in a straight line when the road has a sharp camber (drop off to the side)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The factory high-speed valve setting (right knob) is one click CCW from full CW (full stiff), and Scotts says to leave it at that setting.
I have my sweep settings at 6 o'clock (beveled edge down) giving full (78 deg.) sweep control.
I have my base valve (low-speed setting, left knob) at 8 clicks from full soft (CCW).
So far, I have no complaints.
You don't want to under or over-damp the steering.
You can induce a head shake by over-damping just as under-damping can allow a head-shake.
Only damp just enough to get the job done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts