RC51 Forums banner

Scratched Duck.Tail...Aaaaargh

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Straycat 
#1 ·
Hi all,
after finally getting my.rims powdercoated, shot and fitted this afternoon....It ook the old girl for a ride.
Whilst having a break and.admiring her beauty...I noticed the year rack had come.loose and.scratched her tail.

Does.anybody.know a.reputable.and decent painter to take the black vinyl off ...fill it....re vinyl and sticker her ?

Any advice welcome.

Sydney. Australia

Hawko

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Im guessing the tail was re-done if its vinyl Hawko, because from the factory that section isnt vinyl, its paint. Only the stuff on the top of the tail is vinyl (that panel that fills in the hole where the passenger seat goes). As usual, Honda does some interesting combo's of paint and decals and the tail-side /front number plates are definitely paint on the SP1 and SP2's ive seen. Unless they changed that in 2003 or some other year but that seems unlikely.

I do know many of the aftermarket kits provide a decal for that area instead of paint, but from the factory its paint

So...unless your bike has aftermarket fairings or it was custom painted/decal'd, you may be looking at paint touch up ?

If it turns out it is Vinyl, you should be able to go to any sign craft typ place (theyre allover the place here) and they'd be able to help you out. I find that the guys the specialize in Vehicle Wraps, signs and Decals are way way better at decal application than painters. In fact some painters call in these guys because thats their specialty.

#4 ·
Yea, when I got my RC51 I thought it was vinyl too, Honda has a habit of doing odd and interesting mixes of vinyl and paint. The NS400R is another good example with an odd mix.

I guess Honda did the RC tail number plate paint extra thick with a well defined edge to mimic a vinyl decal, same with the one on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.