RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a screw in my brand new tire. Has less than 300 miles on it. It was dead center of tire in one of the grooves. I called the local Honda dealer and he suggested a mushroom plug since the tire is so new. Any of you had experience with these plugs? I have always been wary of plugging tires but since my tire is brand new I am tempted to try it. Would you buy a new tire or go with the mushroom plug? Any advice/thoughts are much appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I've plugged literally hundreds of rear tires, mushroom plug is the only legal plug where I live.

Even car shops...I had a car shop try the old school plug on me last year, the kind that goes in from the outside and tried to charge me. I informed them the plug they just installed is illegal and to fix it right. They did.

A mushroom plug goes in from the inside out, meaning the tire must be dismounted, prepped, repaired (with mushroom plug), remounted and them rebalanced.

The nail in yours couldn't be in a better place easy fix...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've plugged literally hundreds of rear tires, mushroom plug is the only legal plug where I live.

Even car shops...I had a car shop try the old school plug on me last year, the kind that goes in from the outside and tried to charge me. I informed them the plug they just installed is illegal and to fix it right. They did.

A mushroom plug goes in from the inside out, meaning the tire must be dismounted, prepped, repaired (with mushroom plug), remounted and them rebalanced.

The nail in yours couldn't be in a better place easy fix...
Thanks Nobody!! I called around and all places said the mushroom plug was the way to go.

Thanks JonDog! Great link. I am not planning a track day with this tire just street riding. Heading to the shop today to get it done.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I saw that thread...yes I understand the dangers and there are certain punctures I won't touch.

I've spoken to lots of tire reps Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone and they all have told me the same thing, a 3 inch wide strip down the centre of the tire can be repaired if the angle is not to steep, anything past replace.

Some folks may not have the money to replace a tire after every puncture so this is a viable option to people on a budget.

I would like to add that I always refused to repair a front.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Good luck getting a shop to plug a MC tire. Liability reasons. In CA, I couldn't get ANY licensed shop to patch my rear tire...
Really? Up here no problems with liability as the mushroom plug is a the only way to fix a tire by law. Within the discretion of said shop of course...

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
If it is in a new tire, I say do it. Happened to my riding buddy 2 years ago. Literally had 10km on new tire and a piece of thick glass in his new 190/55 Dunlop. He was PISSED...
Had a mushroom plug put on for 5 bucks, and never had a problem since.
I have used them too, but if the tire is more then half gone I would buy new IMO.
And I would never repair a front, If it goes well, so do you......

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Ok you got me...I haven't been in the industry for just over 10 years, this ^ is new to me.

I still like the old way of doing it because I think for tire repairs to really last it boils down to good prep. But I'd have no problems using that for a road trip as an emergency kit...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Different brands of tires use different types of coatings on the inside liner of the tires. Some use a wax type of coating and others use a polymer coating. In either case, the coating has to be removed before the plug can bond to the inside liner of the tire. Unless they have a universal solvent that can break down all internal coatings, and wipe them away, I don't see how they can get the mushroom portion to bond to the liner.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Promotional slickery.

Different brands of tires use different types of coatings on the inside liner of the tires. Some use a wax type of coating and others use a polymer coating. In either case, the coating has to be removed before the plug can bond to the inside liner of the tire. Unless they have a universal solvent that can break down all internal coatings, and wipe them away, I don't see how they can get the mushroom portion to bond to the liner.
+1 :) I don't know of a rubber cement of vulcanizing adhesive that will grip that slicker than snott coating on the inside of the tire. It's not easy to sand or scratch off, but I've had good luck with 80 grit sandpaper. A small air grinder with 50 grit wheel is the best.

This is the kit I bought for about $25. Of course, no flats since I bought it and haven't had a chance to use it yet, hope it's a long time.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
This is what I throw in my tank bag when I'm riding around the city and some of the canyons that have no cell service. This is just for an emergency, I wouldn't ride very hard on a string plug like this, but it would get me home.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
This is what I throw in my tank bag when I'm riding around the city and some of the canyons that have no cell service. This is just for an emergency, I wouldn't ride very hard on a string plug like this, but it would get me home.

Same kit has gotten me home also...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Promotional slickery.

+1 :) I don't know of a rubber cement of vulcanizing adhesive that will grip that slicker than snott coating on the inside of the tire. It's not easy to sand or scratch off, but I've had good luck with 80 grit sandpaper. A small air grinder with 50 grit wheel is the best.

This is the kit I bought for about $25. Of course, no flats since I bought it and haven't had a chance to use it yet, hope it's a long time.

This is the kit i was talkin about. As long as you get through that slicker than snot coating its all good. As someone else stated i would only use it on the center strip of the tire for prolonged use.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Basically what I used here!!

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I actually ended up going to a friends shop and he had the Stop & Go Pocket tire Plug kit. It was easy and simple to do without having to take the tire off the rim. Took us about 5 min. One thing we did add to it was to put some of the glue in the hole and a little on the mushroom side so it would adhere to the inside wall along with the tread of the tire. Has worked so far without issue. I have put about 75 miles on the bike. Figure I will check pressure for a few weeks to make sure it is holding. He has done this to over 50 motorcycle tires and not one has failed. I feel much better with this than the standard string plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I've used both the stop and go kit and the string type. Both worked equally well, and on the same tire. That tire was also tested at 100+ mph without an issue. I also recommend adding something adhesive to the stop and go plug, but it is just for more peace of mind. I don't think I would do a trackday on one again though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts