RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there know or have done head work like shaving the heads what size gaskets to use? I understand that its gear driven cams engine is a part with warped head. Need a custom head gasket or a new head.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
You'll need new or used original heads. You can't skim & re-use an RC51 head.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think it would depend on the tolerances and how much it is out of spec by. Even on gears you will have some tolerance and .005 difference may not matter. If you are talking .030 then I wouldn't attempt it.

Heads can be had relatively cheap though. I've seen them for sale here and on eBay for less than a hundred shipped. By the time you would have an old head milled, you would be in that price range anyway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just got my heads back from being flowed, Bob said he has taken " a gnats cock" off the face of one of them and assured me it will be fine.
As Mike said there will be a little tolerance but do you want to find out how little?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
If it's a warped head that's causing issues, it'll be more like a gnat's erect cock thickness or more that'll have to come off to make it flat... :eek:

Why bother risking it, if good used heads are cheap?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a set of used heads took them to get cleaned up and machinist wants to port and polish both heads cleaned port polished and valve seats re done for 280. Not sure if its worth it. I have owned this bike since 2002 got it new out the show room I have owned many bikes in between. I raced this bike 3years a go when I started racing and the head gasket blew warped the head at Dayton so she sat for two years she was able to get me to expert status last year after head blew she sat I have been racing a 2012 Ducati Panigale for past two seasons. My main race for these bikes is super Twins and the RC served me well as a amateur I have had my share of racing issues over the past season and it would have been nice to have RC at least as my back up. Im not trying to chase HP gains however since the heads are off was thinking of port and polish any input on this would be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts