RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently had an accident and got the bike back on the road only to have the battery die the next day. replaced the battery and now as i am riding she will "hiccup" randomly. the red FI light will illuminate and the engine will cut out for a split second. now i know loose batt terminals can cause this so i double checked that those puppies are on tight.

i also remember that you can diagnose trouble codes by popping a couple wires into a sensor under the seat does anyone have the steps for that?

any ideas?

Thanks!:confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
On the SP2, look for a green 2-pole connector near the battery cover. That's the service connector.
For the SP1, I believe the connector is at the rear and is black. It too is a 2-pole connector.

Jumper the connector and switch the key on.
You should then see a series of blinks if a fault code is stored.

Short 1/2 second blinks are 1's, longer blinks are 10's.
For instance, 1 long followed by 2 short is a fault code 12.
Two long followed by 1 short is 21, and so on.

There may be a longer 1.2 second pause between sets of blinks for multiple faults stored.

One thing to be aware of, the ECM will store all fault codes over time unless cleared.
Therefore, if the bike had a fault years ago, and nobody cleared the stored fault, you could be getting a false reading.

It's best to clear the stored faults and what current faults the system is detecting.

To do this, refer to the service manual on clearing stored fault codes.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
1. Check your battery connections again. If I had a dollar for every time I have checked someone's battery connection and found them to be loose after they told me they already checked I could buy a happy meal...

2. Check for chafed wires. All it takes is one strand of bare metal on any wire on the entire bike to ground out and you get instant spark kill to the engine. I've seen one little wire exposed by an exhaust hanger that pinched it cause an electrical gremlin that took months to discover.

3. What is your exact idle speed at 184° engine temp?

4. Do you blip the throttle at stop lights?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I double checked the battery leads last night and they are tight as can be. They are making good contact.

Idle speed is about 1500-2000 same as it always has been.

Only thing to do is look around for pinched wires. On a short 4 mile ride to work today this hiccup issue happened about 6 times. Every time it happens it's when I hit any bumps in the road. Sometimes just the road reflector is enough to cause it.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Get into your favorite motorcycle maintenance clothes and grab a tube of dielectric grease and some cotton swabs and go through every electrical connection on the bike and confirm they are well coated and fastened.

I am narrowing this to an overlooked loose or corroded connection, flaky relay or a worn spot in the wiring harness.

Best of luck to you.:cool:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yup check the ground connection on the frame next then start looking at all your wires. Pay special attention to the ones near the fuel tank that can get pinched and the ones running to the tail section that can get easily chafed by bodywork or exhaust/footpeg brackets etc. Remember all it takes is one bare little strand of wire to make contact with metal and it will cause symptoms like you describe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took off all of my fairings and with the bike running jiggled every wire I could see to check if it would cut the engine. Not a thing happened. So I put everything back together and went for a test ride and hit every bump I saw and it never hiccuped or cut the engine so now it seems like there was never an issue but I have no idea why. Lol

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I took off all of my fairings and with the bike running jiggled every wire I could see to check if it would cut the engine. Not a thing happened. So I put everything back together and went for a test ride and hit every bump I saw and it never hiccuped or cut the engine so now it seems like there was never an issue but I have no idea why. Lol
Maybe you have a very small abrasion and jiggling it pulled it just a millimeter or two away from whatever it is grounding on... :confused:
Don't worry - it'll come back. :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
You have a short I just went threw the same thing you need to pull tail off go threw all wiring my bas had bad connection and I found chafed wires. Get wsm trace all powers and grounds. Wiggle battery cables and wiring ect.. are you the 1st owner of the bike? If not take off some of the black wrap around the wiring . The jerk who owned my bike before me had the + - cables taped together under shrink wrap had bad connection I was soo mad he was hack. I also hard wired my bas because of the bad connector

1 - 20 of 20 Posts