RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
only asking cuz i run rotella dino in my xr200 woods bike, my 300ex quad, my atc250sx, and run full sytn in my g/fs gsxr750 and my 01 cbr929rr when i had it...but ive never owned a v-twin so i dont know the how these motors like what?

lemme know, i like how the oil holds up on my other machines, if not would the dino shell rotella be ok in this motor?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I myself run full synthetic in mine.
They like synthetic or dyno. It's all your preference.
Just as long as it's clean and changed routinely with filter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i had my fzr600 and cbr929rr i changed oil every 4K miles with full syn and a high flo oil filter.

thanks for the replay didnt know if these motors were prone to anything, if they are im sure ill fine out

·
Registered
502 Posts
I run the Honda full synthetic in all my bikes! I've run Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Repsol full synthetic in them before! Changed to Honda full synthetic, cause my dealer carries it! I dont have to go here and there to get oil and filter. I'm at the dealer picking up a filter any way, so I might as well get the oil from them too! It's very reasonably priced! Although I can't remember what I pay for it right off the top of my head!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use Synthetic in my Honda cbr400.A synthetic oil for modern bikes since it holds all oil’s properties much better than a natural oil. A specific oil isn't always the best motorcycle oil and may not be worth the extra investment.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
i use Amsoil and mobil 1 for the RC51. AGIP for the Aprilia.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Color....how does the Rotella hold up? At $10 quart the Castrol Syth is getting to be expensive.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Color....how does the Rotella hold up? At $10 quart the Castrol Syth is getting to be expensive.:rolleyes:
The Rotella holds up great ..and use it for the last 5 years....I change the Oil in my RC Every 4 -5000 Miles and my Yamaha every 7000 miles and the 4Wheelers ones a Year....Normal the Price is 19 Bucks a Gallon..and sometimes you see the Rotella for 17 Bucks a Gallon at Walmart....these days you have to save Money.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
I may switch then...you change it @ 4000 mile. I change mine between 1200-2000 miles. It keeps the clutch nice and smooth.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Going to change my oil this weekend and I wanted to use the Mobile 1 full syn. The guy at cycle shop stated that if syn hasn't been used in the bike before it may cause the bike clucth to slip in older bikes it has. Is that true

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
when i had my fzr600 and cbr929rr i changed oil every 4K miles with full syn and a high flo oil filter.

thanks for the replay didnt know if these motors were prone to anything, if they are im sure ill fine out
Nope...typical Honda. Change the oil like a good boy and you can ram rod her just about all you want.

As for the clutch slipping...avoid oils with molybdenum and you should be okay.

If we are talking a bike from the '70 or '80's I would avoid syntheic until after an overhaul is done.

·
Registered
382 Posts
FWIW the Rotella T-6 that came out was marketed at "energy saving" on some of the bottles for a time. This is not the case anymore as I believe the people at shell realized that a good many people were worried about their cycles. (the "energy saving" oils use additives that are bad for clutches) Anyway, the T-6 synthetic is still fine for use and at $20 or less a gallon it is an awesome oil.

When I switched to this stuff from the Repsol I was using, my mileage went up a few MPGs and I noticed a smoother running engine. On my CBR I also notice less engine tick because of a worn CCT. I change it once a year and even after a change, the oil is never black or dark like you see in a car engine. When I get some on my hand, it is usually still a light brown color. I also use Purolator MC oil filters. At $5 a pop, they are a goodOE replacement at half the cost.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ive been using the rotella sythetic in my 2001 RC for 5 yrs , always smooth shifting and still clean after 3000 miles when i go to change it ! :)

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
P/O ran Mobil 1 in my RC. I'll switch to Amsoil when I change next. Run Amsoil in my Wing, my Duramax and my boat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Up untill about 2 years ago I ran the shell in my bikes.But shell then changed the oil formula for rotella that we get here in New Zealand(and I believe Australia as well), which was no longer suitable for use in motorcycle engines.So I've had to use more expensive oils like maxima or mobil 1.(Shell has actually quit New Zealand , all the shell gas stations are being renamed "Z" , shell oil is still on the shelves but its all car stuff).Also the shell advance range of motorcycle oils was good, the semi synthetic was very good and well priced,but was very hard to get here in NZ, but was very well stocked at just about every motorcycle shop in Australia.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Motorex now. Trying Klots for the next track day (5 Sept). Klots is supposed to low the temp. I will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I decided to try the Rotella and the Supertech filter combo from the filter interchange guide on this site. I should be able to change oil and filter more frequently for the same price and see that as a benefit. I had to add just a little more oil because I opted for the larger Supertech filter. I bought an extra quart anyway, so I'll keep it on hand and use what is left first in the next change. The super high dollar Motul oil was still green when it came out and seems to have held up well. I would recommend it if it wasn't $15 a quart. Their brake fluid is twice the price as Galfer fluid as well.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts

Is what I use....just as cost effective as the others on the list.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts