RC51 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what to expect for cost on this.

I found clutch plates online for anywhere between $100-$170.

Not sure what a fork seal job would cost. Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've done standard forks, but I took some USD forks from my old 636 into a shop for them to do. It's a bit tougher, and he had a special tool for the job. I'd recommend Marietta Motorsports, but that's a bit far from Columbus. Don't know anyone from your neck of the woods. You will definitely save cash if you take the forks to the shop off the bike.
Get OEM seals, for sure.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The clutch is easy as pie dude. Takes about 20 minutes. Pull the old plates and discs out and install the new ones the same way.

Forks I have know idea. Definitley take them off the bike before hand. I just got the seals done on my YZ250F forks and it was about $150 for the forks off. With them still on it would have been over $200

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
You could probably get the job done a bit cheaper with a reputable local shop.

The clutch plates you can do yourself.
Just need a new clutch cover gasket and the correct plates depending on if it's an SP1 or SP2 as the SP2 has three different clutch plates used.
One inner, one outer, and 5 middle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'll probably do the clutch myself. I'm happy to work on things as long as I'm confident I won't screw anything up. Guess I'll be taking the forks off before I take the bike in next time.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
One big word of warning is the service manual that's frequently downloaded only shows fork disassembly for the SP1 forks, not the SP2 which are different.
You can damage your fork preload adjusters and damper rods if you incorrectly disassemble the SP2 forks, which could potentially require replacement.
And Honda doesn't sell just the damper rod, it's the whole cartridge at $234 each.
Download the 2004 CBR1000RR manual and refer to the fork disassembly section.
It uses the same preload adjusters as the SP2's.

I'll be replacing my fork cartridges myself, so I'll try and document the process if anyone is interested.
Unfortunately, I've been so busy at work that there's no certain time frame. Hopefully by next month, maybe...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts