1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
In the Description the LFX18A2-BS06 says 14 Amp Hour, 210 Cold Cranking Amps; Ultra-light weight - 1.31 lb.; Ultra-compact - 4.45” x 3.50” x 2.28”

... whereas the LFX18A1-BS12 says 18 Amp Hour, 270 Cold Cranking Amps.; Ultra-light weight - 2.19 lb.; Ultra-compact - 5.83” x 4.13” x 2.60”

Something doesn't seem quite right, though, because:

1) The "18" in the model number sure seems like it would correspond to the Amp Hour rating ... so the 14 Amp Hour model seems like it should have 14 in the model number instead of 18

2) This line at the top of both pages is the same: "Shorai Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Battery LFX18A2-BS06 18 Amp Hour, 270 Cold Cranking Amps "

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I am looking to purchase another Shorai for my brother's Supercharged 2004 CBR 1000RR and I stumbled into this dilemma

1) http://motowheels.com/i-6922513-shorai-lithium-iron-lifepo4-battery-lfx18a1-bs12.html

which I already have installed on my RC

2) http://motowheels.com/i-13057308-shorai-lithium-iron-lifepo4-battery-lfx18a2-bs06.html

Anyone can spot any other differences apart from size and price?
At Shorai's website, they show difference battery case dimensions.
Offhand, I believe the A1 and A2 differ by case dimension.
Another variable is the position of the positive and negative battery posts.
That's why I just cross reference based on the RC51 and see what choices I have.
For regular use, I went with the 18Ah for added reserve capacity.
Even then, the 18Ah battery only weighed 2.2 lbs.
The same model battery is used on my FZ1 and my RC51.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Sub but I am not sure what you're sayin'

Positive and negative terminals are at the same side on both of 'em
Same cold Amp juice on both and both are 18Ah capacity

So logically I should go for the A2 which is smaller in size and cheaper.

Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sorry Sub but I am not sure what you're sayin'

Positive and negative terminals are at the same side on both of 'em
Same cold Amp juice on both and both are 18Ah capacity

So logically I should go for the A2 which is smaller in size and cheaper.

Wouldn't you?
If you read my post ... sure doesn't look like their Ah capacity and sizes are the same :confused:

And I think Sub just meant that they make models with the positive and negative terminals reversed from what our RC's need.

Also, Makis, I recently bought an Alien Motion lithium for my brother-in-law's '05 YZF-R1 from Nathan/ Rider's Discount. I let Nathan provide the model # instead of looking it up myself; he suggested the Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 which was out of stock, but then said he had an Alien Motion equivalent. So I went with that without asking for the model #. Anyway, MAN that thing is tiny. Quite a bit smaller than the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 I got for my RC. Must be a lower Ah rating, too.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any experience with these "large" Shorais in cold weather? Im running a small 4.6 and it takes a few tries when temp is below 10celcius, but always gets in started.
Would be nice if it went on in the first attempt though.
With the LFX18A1-BS12 I got, even as low as 3 deg. C the RC cranks like a charm ;)
Remember that our V-Twins need lot's of juice to crank when their cold.
Large pistons means more friction due to larger metal surfaces in contact.
Plus we've got that 450 deg of crankshaft rotation where there's no spark on either of the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, but add shipping, 30% tax and 30USD handling, its not really worth it.
With ALL of that costs me 230 euros each LFX18A1-BS12
On the Greek market they start at 280 and up.

Plus the battery is delivered to me at home.
If I buy them from a dealer in Athens (only there they are available) I have to either pay 30 euros in fuel to go get it (310 in total) or pay 20 euros postage to be delivered to me (300 euros in total)

Still worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts