RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to repack my mufflers and while they are apart, I was thinking about shortening them up just a bit. Obviously a band saw or chop saw would be best. Unfortunately, I don't have access to those. Anybody have success with any other cutting tools? Hack saw, dremel, etc? I don't want to butcher it, but I'm trying to make due with what I have access to.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
You can use a dremel but it may take awhile. Just measure a ton and use a tapeline to keep you going straight.

Is this the factory exhaust?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about my Dremel.

2 Bros. Titanium High Mount

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard. Measure twice cut once ;) Definitely will want to use the larger reinforced disks. The hard ones are the factory exhausts. Last one I did was for a Ninja 250 and it gave my saws all a run for its money (they have all kinds of wizardry in those little 250 mufflers!)

If you wouldn't mind...could you share the inside diameter of the high mount pipe where it meets the mid pipe and inlet diameter of the muffler? I am looking for a way to piece together something, so far it's a PITA.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'll take some measurements. Are you looking for the ID of the muffler inlet, or the ID of the Midpipe outlet?

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I'm looking for the ID of the muffler inlet and the ID of the midpipe inlet. I'd like to use the highmount pipes on an akra header...

Thanks a ton:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotchya. Will do.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Here's the discs I use for various destruction:

I was thinking about it and James is right, you might burn through a few. Might be able to "line out" the cut with the dremel and take it nice and smooth with the hacksaw. There would be much less "walking" with the saw if you made the dremel cuts first. Not sure I have the patience to do this with a dremel (but I have the determination..)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could also put a 4.5 cut off on my grinder, but it might be hard to control as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts