RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am supposed to be picking up my first RC51 on Sunday, but the colors are making me wonder. ...I saw the bike a week ago, and didn't get pics while I was there, but now I am getting jittery. Bike looked solid, but does it have all the right colors in the right spots for an 03? Did ALL 03's get gold wings or just some of them? When I search 03 RC's on here and google, I have not found one photo with gold wings outined. Also I find pice with both silver tail and black tails listed as 03. These are the only pics I have from the seller.

The story is the bike has been well taken care of and owned by two owners, who are frends and both older riders. Never been down, etc. Going to look the bike over again with a fine tooth comb.

Just make me feel better about how the bike looks and it appears not to be a mutt. Is there such a thing as carfax for bikes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The black tail was throwing me off, but I did read that 03's were the only ones with black tails. Post up some pics of yours....

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
This is what an '00 to '02 looks like.

This is what an '03 looks like.

An interesting point that crops up often.
Note the subtle differences in tank and lower cowling graphics.

This pops up when riders are replacing fuel tanks or lower cowls between '00-'02 and '03 models. The graphics don't align properly.

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
There aren't any gold stripes on a RC51.
Those were added by a previous owner, just as the wheel stripes.

Here's an '04 profile.
Notice how the '04 fuel tank and lower cowl graphics reverted back to the '00-'03 design, except they moved the RC51 model decal down to the lower cowl to make room for the Woody decal in its place.

·
Registered
728 Posts
its a sticker kit from... oh gawd I cant remember the name... but yeah eff I cant remember and I cant find it... but they made like accent kits for stock bikes, everything from flames to different color wings to all kinds of stuff TAPEWORKS GRAPHICS!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have black wings trimmed in gold on mine gas tank and it looks factory. I will provide pics tomorrow. I have a 01 with 04 fairings and 03 tank.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Those are OEM....not a kit. They celebrate Collin Edwards championship of 2002, so the story goes. If the tank doesn't have them its been replaced or has been repainted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Close up of some Gold....:D

Close up of the gold wings....:D
Boy they really don't show up in web pics do they....so the big wing outlines are not factory at all. I was under the impression that they were but didn't recall if they were decal tape or not....cool. Up in the air about keeping them on it and the yellow rim stripe.

Gonna be a nice day Sunday, getting ready to ride!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah . . . I have the gold winged outline on my tank, but mine is an '01 . . . guess it was changed (there were a few suspect spots on the bike and the tank was perfect so now I know why).

Thanks for all the pictures and for ruining my day, :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think someone cited that the SP-1's had them so you should be good, they went away in 02 and came back on 03 for Edwards' championship acknowledgment. So you should be good!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think someone cited that the SP-1's had them so you should be good, they went away in 02 and came back on 03 for Edwards' championship acknowledgment. So you should be good!
Oh cool.

I just looked into it and you are in fact correct (according to google images for a 2001 RC51). I fell much better now :)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Oh cool.

I just looked into it and you are in fact correct (according to google images for a 2001 RC51). I fell much better now :)
Or...your original tank had a leak in it and the last owner replaced it thinking Honda wouldn't. The first series tanks had leaking issues that were recalled.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It seems to me that '03 is the only year the "RVT" on the mid fairing is highlighted in black as well. I'm thinking of Chinese fairings for everyday use, and preserving the stockers, wouldn't feel guilty about using a hole saw for a set of frame sliders either.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts