RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic by any means, however when acclereating on my 2000 SP1 it is shuddering, more so through the lower gears until it starts to smoothen a little at a higher speed range.
So I am trying to work out if I'm either not getting the revs high enough or perhaps it's the drive chain or maybe even a bearing.

Any thoughts please?

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
The RC's like higher revs....anything lower than say 3,000 rpm, she will tend to "shudder" a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
On longer straights when cruising fast, I find the bike does buzz/ vibrate quite a bit. There are two thumping great pistons going up & down and my exhausts are mounted close to my seat hump. It's not bearing wear or anything like that.

I find it helps to not hug the tanks so much with my thighs when cruising along.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Low RPM the bike will shudder, check your chain just to be sure though. a loose chain will make it worse. You can smooth it out by switching your sprocket sizes and a pcIII.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i probably should have used the word "vibration" instead of 'shuddering'.
Anywho, i have since given myself a list of possibles and will also double check with a certified mechanic tomorrow.

1 - ECU problem, connection of wires etc?? highly likely, but's it's dark now so checking will have to wait until morning.

2 - Engine mounting bolts - again highly likely

3 - Chain/Drive chain - Sprocket setting - unlikely given there has been a new chain fitted less than 200kms ago.

So now that i've listed those 3 options, which one seems more likley base on vibration from acceleration. There is no vibration when sitting idle, only through acceleration.

Cheers
Demon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after giving the SP a bit more of a run after the new chain has been fitted, the local mechanic has stated that i still have some tight spots in the chain and this should be the cause of the vibration/shudder through acceleration.

I will basically start to to tick of the minor problems before delving into any other more detailed/expensive problems.

If it happens to be anything else, i will let you know. Thank you for the advice and thoughts.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
As far as fastener coming loose, this is reoccuring on these bikes so, loc-tite is a must. (blue)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts