RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was re-reading the VIN #0000002 thread and was reminded of the early engines being signed. I found mine today. A novelty thing i guess, but to me it's uber cool! :):D:p
Does anyone know how many engines got this signature? And who signed them?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I have no idea how many were hand signed by the assembly person.
But they were early models.

A several years ago, I was having coffee with a fellow RC51 owner who bought his new back in 2000.
He was out riding with his buddies when his engine seized up solid.

He complained to the local Honda shop he bought he bought it from and they were giving him the run around.
So he took it up the food chain to Honda Corp., and when they found out what serial number it was, they replaced his entire bike (which went back to Japan).

Honda replaced his with a brand new bike and even swapped all his aftermarket goodies over to the new bike.
I'm thinking assembler 'X' had to explain his handywork and why his engine seized.

This owner is the one who told be about the hand signed engines.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Poor bastard probably got this treatment when the engine got back.

In reality they probably disassembled as a group think with a white board writing down every detail of damage, only to make future bikes rock solid.:cool:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My SP1 is #8 off the line and has been signed:), only fault to date is a weeping coolant pump
At 19,300, mine looks very dry and tight. couldn't see any leaks. Around the thermostat area, rubber all looks healthy, it's in good shape. Surprisingly clean.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was re-reading the VIN #0000002 thread and was reminded of the early engines being signed. I found mine today. A novelty thing i guess, but to me it's uber cool! :):D:p
Does anyone know how many engines got this signature? And who signed them?
I have an early bike too. Not being too mechanically minded, what part of the engine should I be looking at? I can't quite make it out from your pictures.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Well curiosity got the best of me, so I checked my engine, and it too is hand signed with a number "FB623" on both upper and lower case halves.

At first I thought that the previous owner may have swapped engines at some point in time with a 2000 engine, but the engine serial number shows SC45E-22xxxxx indicting its a 2002 engine.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're looking for this hand scribed signature, I found mine by shining a good flashlight onto the rear engine case. I was crouched down on the side of the bike, and look right above where the swingarm attaches to the frame.
To see the lower number, you have to look hard a little lower on the engine case, the swingarm front blocks it from view almost entirely. It's real hard to see, but it was there.

Well, now I'm going to be looking at every engine case i see on the few RC51's that I encounter. Dohhhhhhhh..... Cause I can't not..... :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey thanks for those water pump numbers subsailor,when I called the dealership they said I would have to buy a complete side cover!(I think I was talking to the new boy there though).Anyway back onto the subject, the spare engine I have has not been signed.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Hey thanks for those water pump numbers subsailor,when I called the dealership they said I would have to buy a complete side cover!(I think I was talking to the new boy there though).Anyway back onto the subject, the spare engine I have has not been signed.
So if your engine doesn't have the engraving numbers on the case halves, then the plot thickens I guess.

Sounds like the dealer was wanting to sell you a new water pump assembly rather than replacing the mechanical seal.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
the signature is in a few places, but the easiest place to find it is by the speed sensor on the rear part of the engine case by the rear shock. Mine is a 2001 and i believe it was number 1005 for that year.....it also has the signature.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts