RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do exhausts always veer upwards? Has anyone ever seen a custom exhaust come out high, but horizontal? Not sure why, I’m just curious how it would look, or if it’s just not possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not necessarily under the seat, but actually horizontal, not angled upwards with the lines of the tail fairings. I was just curious why you never see something more radical than the traditional low-high-banzai combinations

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Aside from looking much better, if I were a custom pipe craftsman, I'd want them up at eye level, so the people in the cars being passed, can see my name plate!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am pretty sure they're that way so little kids can drop small objects down into the exhaust when you're not looking. My little 20-month old daughter was "helping" me install a third brake light in the garage the other night, and I had turned around for a couple of seconds when I hear the distinct sound of a small metal object tumbling down the muffler and into the header! As I turn around saying a half-disappointed "oh, no!", I see this cute little baby looking down into the pipe like "oops, where did it go?" You can't be mad about that, and I was able to fish it out (one of the nuts I was using for the light) later with a magnet on a string and a couple of revs.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Why do exhausts always veer upwards? Has anyone ever seen a custom exhaust come out high, but horizontal? Not sure why, I’m just curious how it would look, or if it’s just not possible.
If you look at all the body lines of about any sport bike, the exhaust looks more appropriate at an angle.
If your pipes are truly horizontal, and your leaning hard in a turn, I would think the side of the pipe could lift the rear tire just enough to lose traction. I've seen a couple cruisers with rashed pipes from that.
Horizontal pipes are for bikes with forward controls/footpegs, and riser handlebars. imo.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts