RC51 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a used 01 RC51 in great shape, but guy I bought it from has installed a SP2 Akrapovic on the right side only and the left side is just capped off. I've been around motorcycles for along time, but I've never seen this done before, the bike seems to run fine, and it sounds good too. If you want a 2 into 1 system I would think you would need a full system.

My question is, is this ok? Or should I put the stock pipes back on until I can get a set of pipes, because I want and prefer the dual exhaust look.

Thanks,

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would put the stock exhaust back on!
x2. I can't imagine that not having an adverse effect on exhaust scavenging, correct backpressure, and the pressure waves/pulses from the engine. I'd beware of the possibility of other improperly performed mods on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
x2. I can't imagine that not having an adverse effect on exhaust scavenging, correct backpressure, and the pressure waves/pulses from the engine. I'd beware of the possibility of other improperly performed mods on the bike.
Improperly preformed mods had already crossed my mind too, so I went through the bike completely as I would with any bike I own. aside from the exhaust and a fender eliminator kit that's all he did. I believe he was only interested in the looks of the bike and not performance, when I asked him about the pair mod or the flapper valve he had no idea what I was talking about. He's a nice guy and had the dealer do all the service so I'm not to concerned about the bike, he just put that exhaust on a few weeks before I bought it.

As you can tell by my question, I felt this was a improperly preformed mod too.:(

The stock exhaust will be going back on ASAP.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Improperly preformed mods had already crossed my mind too, so I went through the bike completely as I would with any bike I own. aside from the exhaust and a fender eliminator kit that's all he did. I believe he was only interested in the looks of the bike and not performance, when I asked him about the pair mod or the flapper valve he had no idea what I was talking about. He's a nice guy and had the dealer do all the service so I'm not to concerned about the bike, he just put that exhaust on a few weeks before I bought it.

As you can tell by my question, I felt this was a improperly preformed mod too.:(

The stock exhaust will be going back on ASAP.
I wouldn't think any damage would have occurred unless he rode it for many hundreds of miles after installation. Even then, I'm pretty sure it would only really affect the drivability. Don't worry, just do what you were planning on anyway. Put the stockers back on and enjoy. I'm betting you'll notice a difference after switching them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ask him if he has the other pipe or what system he bought for it and buy those parts only!
Good idea,
He bought it from eBay and he only got the right side, I bet who ever sold it crashed the left side. I know it's for a SP2, because you can see the clamp mark on the pipe where it was installed. I'm sure I can figure what system it is and get the left side parts. I may have to modify the down pipe to fit my SP1, but that's not an issue.

I'll look into this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
102 Posts
The problem you might run into is getting the Akro parts. They are realy hard to get, aside from ordering a whole system! Plus unless you luck out and find a used left side on ebay, your looking at probably $800.00 just to get all the left side parts. If your intersested Ive got a custom Jardine set-up on my 2000 maybe we could work out a trade. Im currantly running a 2 into 1. The jardines I have are the regular 2 into 2 low mounts. PM me if interested!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Convert stock system to 2into1 system

I was thinking about modifying the stock exhaust header into a 2 into 1 header, by band sawing off the left side of the header and tig welding a piece shaped to transition nicely into the right side. Then I could use the setup I have in the first set of photos in post 1.

I did a quick Photoshop of what I have in mind, does anyone know if this has been done before successfully?

Photo is from a system for sale on eBay.

2 into 1 Mod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both Erion and Jardine made 2 into 1 systems, but the mid-range was terrible. The Jardine system was only $499 brand new. You could probably find somebody to just give you a 2 into 1 system if they have one laying around.

Your best bet is to get a used set of slip-ons for about $300-$500.

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some good info and data here: http://rc51.org/
Go to Mods, then click on the Exhuast link. Near the bottom of the page is info on why 2:1 systems are not an advisable choice on these bikes.
Thanks for the link.

Sounds like the Sato Exhausts is the top choice, I had a Two Borthers full system on my 2000 VFR800 and it was a huge upgrade for that bike.

The stock system is back on now, so I think I'll just look at staying with a dual set of slip-ons.

If anyone has had good or bad experience with different systems I'd like to here about it.

Thanks for all the comments and input guys.

·
Senior Member '09 Dec BOTM
190 Posts
look here
my 2-1 Exhaust, do-it-yourself

1 - 16 of 16 Posts