RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
427 Posts
ton s of work for little or no gains

i will have a conversion done eventaully but need capital

I have a swingarm to donate for a SSS to be made but they will be like $2500 each after

·
Banned
427 Posts
Its all about looks. I know it weighs more and is less stable, but how trick is it?
it can be trick

i have been trying to do this mod for a while mysklef and have spent a ton of dough and time attempting it:mad:

none of the VFR or RVF stuff will really work and you are going backwards even if it did.

I have had a ducati 848 arm here and that COULD work but serious mods would need to take place and they are like $1000 just to start

I know a guy who can make us a bolt on arm in a tube and or tube filled in arm based from a 2002 SP2 arm and it will use a ducati hub but having another person or two would help i the cost of having them built.

Don't forget you will then need and caliper and wheels and hub so no matter what it is a $4000 mod

·
Senior Member '09 Dec BOTM
190 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Below is a pic of a project I have on the go at the moment. I have fitted the single sided swing arm in a frame that it has no right to be in.
Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you are letting yourself in for a whole world of heartache.
I had to get this one machined, spec new bearings, re-align motor to get drivetrain to line up, make new shock linkages, fabricate new shock mounts.
Every single problem you solve creates another two.
I don't want to put you off, just want you to know what may be involved.

Apologies for crap phone photo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would never expect it to be easy. I had a motocross swingarm/wheel/shock assembly that I put on a CB360. Nowhere near the engineering, but still alot of mods to make it all work.
Yours looks badass now. What bike is that? I dont recognize the frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would never expect it to be easy. I had a motocross swingarm/wheel/shock assembly that I put on a CB360. Nowhere near the engineering, but still alot of mods to make it all work.
Yours looks badass now. What bike is that? I dont recognize the frame.
It's a 1987 CBR600 (Hurricane) I have changed the swinging arm, front forks, subframe, modified main frame, moved motor over in frame, powder coated and had the engine vapour blasted, and rebuilt from ground up. If you want more details and pics, just say. I don't want to hijack this thread (unless you want me to) with info on a bike that does not "belong" on this forum.

they are like $3000+ and you NEED to buy their special wheels:rolleyes:

i would not give them a dime of my money

I have a guy who will use the OEM swingarm to make the new SSS so it will bolt right on
You are kidding, right? Single siders are so big, beefy and heavy for a reason. Adapt a conventional swinging arm into a single sider is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 1987 CBR600 (Hurricane) I have changed the swinging arm, front forks, subframe, modified main frame, moved motor over in frame, powder coated and had the engine vapour blasted, and rebuilt from ground up. If you want more details and pics, just say. I don't want to hijack this thread (unless you want me to) with info on a bike that does not "belong" on this forum.

You are kidding, right? Single siders are so big, beefy and heavy for a reason. Adapt a conventional swinging arm into a single sider is asking for trouble.
I don't think it's too bad on my newly formed hijacking scale. I'd like to see more of it. If the administrators hate it that much, they can delete it. At least it is a honda.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think it's too bad on my newly formed hijacking scale. I'd like to see more of it. If the administrators hate it that much, they can delete it. At least it is a honda.
Right then. Here we go:
Before strip down of bike. First offering up of swing arm

After subframe change to NC30 item. Shock mount will be changed again soon.

Cylinder head at stripdown stage.......

And after vapour blasting.

Engine rebuilt.

powder coated frame

engine installed into frame

·
Registered
21 Posts
Making of stainless steel link pipe

This is a work in progress bike. I have had it on the go for a couple of years now, and will probably not be finished for a further two years. I have the SP1 to play on in the summer months, so there's no hurry, is there?
Hope you like it. All comments welcome, positive or negative.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Making of stainless steel link pipe

This is a work in progress bike. I have had it on the go for a couple of years now, and will probably not be finished for a further two years. I have the SP1 to play on in the summer months, so there's no hurry, is there?
Hope you like it. All comments welcome, positive or negative.
Where in the UK are you? I wouldn't mind seeing that in the flesh when it's up and about. :D

·
Banned
427 Posts
nice but you are going to have issues with the tire, SSS and that exhaust IMO

the chain adjustment will pull the tire close to the Swingarm so you have to take out links all the time and you will have to be limited to narrow tires or they will rub

nice project though and thanks for posting it too see

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where in the UK are you? I wouldn't mind seeing that in the flesh when it's up and about. :D
Thanks Matt. I'm up in the North-East. near Middlesbrough. So probably a bit far for you, although if you're up this way, you're welcome to drop in.

nice but you are going to have issues with the tire, SSS and that exhaust IMO

the chain adjustment will pull the tire close to the Swingarm so you have to take out links all the time and you will have to be limited to narrow tires or they will rub

nice project though and thanks for posting it too see
The exhaust link pipe has been altered slightly since that pic was taken, to give a bit more clearance for the chain.
I don't understand what you mean about clearance issues with the chan and tyre. I will get a chain the correct length to start with, and move the wheel back as it wears, as normal. The tyre and the wheel are standard items for the swinging arm, so why would they cause an issue?

Thanks for the kind words, all. Very nice to hear, when you have spent a long time with a fixed idea in your head, that others like it too.

Edit to add: You don't have to spend thousands to build a bike. I carry out all of the work myself, where possible. Only the vapour blasting and powder coating has been subbed out so far.
I learned to mig weld stainless steel, so I didn't have to pay anybody to do it.(Tightarse). I stripped down and rebuilt the engine by myself. I specced up the machining work myself, and got it done through work. Most parts are from Ebay. In fact The whole project started because I was boozed up, and won the swinging arm and wheel etc. (I had always fancied one). In fact a lot of it has been bid for whilst boozed up!
The only way you will learn about your bike is to do it yourself. I had never stripped down a four stroke engine before. Now, because I bothered to do it myself, I know how it all works. I can do valve clearances, I know how the gearbox works. I lapped all the valves in by hand. I found out how the carbs work. I intend to learn how to balance and tune the carbs, when the day comes for the big startup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts