RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new RC51 SP1 I have turns in VERY HARD. Almost wont turn in without throttle.

It was a 190/55 tire that IS starting to look a bit square. P.O. put it on. The front tire also needs to be replaced, it has weird bumps and marks.

Anyways, turning in, it requires a good bit of throttle. Is that normal?

Also...what map are people using for Sato banzai high mounts and a KN filter?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'm not quite clear...can you explain without throttle? You mean coasting? Is this a slow speed turn say like a u-turn? Or at speed like a sweeper or decreasing radius?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any turn, call it a sweeper. While off the throttle for a turn, the bike wants to stand up. Its easier to coax it into a turn with some throttle.

Rear tire is a 190/50, which Ive read is not a good choice.

Other than that, maybe im just used to my FZ1. The front tire darts a bit at really low speeds. The front tire is obviously very junk, so that may be the problem.

Anything I need to do to the bike to go from 190/50 to 190/55?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Ok...years ago I took a bike for a test ride and it had these strange handling characteristics, trying to turn it wanted to stand up straight just like you say yours does. It also in a straight line it felt lie it was rocking back and forth. Kinda like swaying side it side.

Back at the shop I get the front wheel off the ground and check tire pressure a little low about 28 psi, then I notice the front wheel will not fall to one side on its own...steering head bearing notchy replaced bearings and good tire pressure and all was good.

Get the front wheel off of the ground and check the steering head bearings for roughness or notches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front definitely felt a bit low on pressure. Maybe that's it. I could visibly see it giving a bit when rocking back and forth.

How would I get the front off the ground while still being able to check the bearings? And i'm looking to see if it feels smooth when turning the bars?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Getting the front off the ground can be tricky...I have a mc lift and car jack that I use in conjunction with tie downs.

I would Google and see other ways if you don't have a lift and such.

Yes you will check for roughness and or notchy bearings by turning bars side to side.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Any turn, call it a sweeper. While off the throttle for a turn, the bike wants to stand up. Its easier to coax it into a turn with some throttle.

Rear tire is a 190/50, which Ive read is not a good choice.

Other than that, maybe im just used to my FZ1. The front tire darts a bit at really low speeds. The front tire is obviously very junk, so that may be the problem.

Anything I need to do to the bike to go from 190/50 to 190/55?
One problem may be with the 190/50 rear tire.
I mail ordered a new 190/55 rear tire one time, and got a 190/50 instead.
Instead of going through all the return shipping jazz, I figured I'd just install it and use it. Bad mistake.

I hated the difference the 190/50 made on the bike.
The bike did not want to lean easily at all. Kind of like a weeble. Always wanting to stay vertical.
When in a turn, I always had to keep pressure on the bars to keep the bike leaned. It always wanted to return upright (like weeble).

I got tired of the tire quickly (100 miles) and ordered another 190/55. Then, when that tire came in, I swap over to the 190/55 and sold the 190/50.

Now, with the 190/55, the bike was so much easier to lean into a turn with almost no effort on the bars. Ahh, so much better.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
So the new RC51 SP1 I have turns in VERY HARD. Almost wont turn in without throttle.

It was a 190/55 tire that IS starting to look a bit square. P.O. put it on. The front tire also needs to be replaced, it has weird bumps and marks.

Anyways, turning in, it requires a good bit of throttle. Is that normal?

Also...what map are people using for Sato banzai high mounts and a KN filter?
Got a good clear photo of front tire?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No good picture of the tire, but it looks to be wearing evenly. Its just dry cracked and old. Needs to go this winter. The tire is a 190/50. I guess I'll order a set of PR3's this winter.

Anyone know where there are good deals for front/rear stands? I'll need some...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ALSO...i'm concerned as to why my trip meter is always resetting. It defaults to 0 every time I turn the key on. Is this normal? It reads temp just fine, the ODO is fine.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
190/50 tires suck, get rid of it, they don't even make race tires in that size so I cannot fathom why anyone would ever bother to put one back on their sportbike.

The trip meter resets because of a weak battery. This was a very common problem with the PCII and the problem went away once the PCIII replaced it.

Here is a webpage explaining basic geometry settings. It is only relevant to the RC51 in a couple areas, but the info is true in what to look for when the bike is handling properly.

http://www.rogueracing.org/geometry.htm

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Sorry to be the dick of the forum, but someone has to say it: Did you seriously think your bike is going to handle correctly knowing that you have a shit front tire, a squared off rear and unknown tire pressure?

And fwiw, I've never had a problem with a 190 rear and turn in. Even with bone stock front geometry, stock forks, Öhlins shock and a Moriwaki link. Man the fuck up and give the bars some input. :D

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Not a real promoter here but Cyclegear has some really good deals on paddock stands....I mean good! Hope one is near you, there is also gorilla stands if your on a budget.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
190/50 tires suck, get rid of it, they don't even make race tires in that size so I cannot fathom why anyone would ever bother to put one back on their sportbike.

The trip meter resets because of a weak battery. This was a very common problem with the PCII and the problem went away once the PCIII replaced it.

Here is a webpage explaining basic geometry settings. It is only relevant to the RC51 in a couple areas, but the info is true in what to look for when the bike is handling properly.

http://www.rogueracing.org/geometry.htm
Weak battery on the bike? Or a backup battery somewhere else?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Waldo, have you downloaded a manual yet? There isn't any backup battery. You're loosing power to your instrument panel, either a weak or loose connection, or insufficient volts in your battery. Since you've tested your reg/rec, higher probability of a loose wire or poor connection somewhere. Check grounds and connector plugs. look for signs of heat or corrosion.
Take a voltage reading of your battery when the bike is off. Should be about 13.2V. If it is, then your charging system is probably fine, and so is the battery.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts