RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all,
I have had my SP1 for about 6 mints now.
She is not a daily rider, and is in practically immaculate condition. ,,

She does have a couple of small fairing cracks
..and after washing her heavy handedly today a small piece came off.

What it the best way to glue it back please ?
I can't be too heavy handed with glue as the left side fairing won't fit flush underneath.

I am also thinking of drilling some tiny holes at the end of the cracks to stop their progression.

Any thoughts please?

It seems every time I fiddle with her she gets marked or scratched.... precious thing she is !

Thanks all in advance.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think you should use a plastic ABS repair kit rather than regular glue but you're going to have to take the entire front cowl off to do it. That area seems to be a weak point but I suspect people are tightening the screw too much and have lost the thrust washer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hawko, the best product I have used is Plastex. you can get it in several colours including red which may mean you dont have to repaint. Use a metal tape on the outside finished surface to stop the product bleeding through and V groove the back to accept the plastex. The other decent product is Q-bond, it also works very well and is cheaper than plastex.

Interestingly that screw doesnt have a stepped shoulder, im not even sure it has a washer. I bought all new screws from Honda for my resto and its a stainless steel Allen head screw with no step/shoulder. Now im curious, ill go look at the parts fiche to see about washers/spacers but I dont recall any.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hawko, the best product I have used is Plastex. you can get it in several colours including red which may mean you dont have to repaint. Use a metal tape on the outside finished surface to stop the product bleeding through and V groove the back to accept the plastex. The other decent product is Q-bond, it also works very well and is cheaper than plastex.

Interestingly that screw doesnt have a stepped shoulder, im not even sure it has a washer. I bought all new screws from Honda for my resto and its a stainless steel Allen head screw with no step/shoulder. Now im curious, ill go look at the parts fiche to see about washers/spacers but I dont recall any.
There are no shoulders on the small bolts as you say and they have a plastic washer under the head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gents....

I will look for the Plaster or Q-bond online now and give it a go.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been snooping around on the net and alot of q bond info but not so much Plastex......

Spoke to the Aussie bloke in Melbourne re a clear needle kit....around $70 with postage.
Which is the better poison ladies and gents?

Thank you as always.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Plastex is better -- by far.

Q-Bond is good but its like a super glue wth a filler

Plastex is basically creating a liquid plastic and is as strong as the original ABS. you can also re-create missing tabs with Plastex if you have to

lots of youtube videos on Plastex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts