RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I got home and noticed the entire right side of my bike was covered in oil and oil was leaking onto the driveway. I checked the oil level and it was regular. I started it back up and it made a clanking noise and I swear I thought it was a connecting rod snapping on me or something. However, everything seemed to check out and I started it up again and now it was running normal without any out of the ordinary engine noise.

Alright, so check that, I'm pretty sure my motor isn't blown since it's not making funky noises, but what the hell could it be?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like the swing arm might need to be replaced. I will take your old one for pennies on the dollar. Its a win win since its old and has gone bad.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy took a look and thinks it's my valve cover gasket. It would make sense as the only thing out of the ordinary is the massive amount of oil that covers the right side of the bike after riding it and a slightly high idle. The bike still pulls well enough and there are no weird clanking noises coming from the motor. How is that possible? Could having a pinched line caused a rupture in the gasket? Hopefully we'll have some in stock at work tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Have you removed your airbox lately?
If so, check that your hose connecting the crankcase vent collection bottle to the airbox is attached.
If it has slipped off, the oil mist from the crankcase can escape and coat your engine.

Also check if your oil fill cap is tight and the O-ring is intact and not damaged.

I bought a fancy billet fill cap and the O-ring didn't quite match the groove it sat in.
Oil coated my clutch and right engine covers.

The cap was tight, but just didn't seal adequately.
I pulled it off and put the OEM back in. Money blown, but lesson learned.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did have my bike "pop" and die on me 2 times and some googling has indicated either a pinched breather hose or a bad stator. My cap n' o-ring are in good condition as I checked them during my last oil change. I'm gonna lift the tank now and see if I can get a look at the valve cover. I'm hoping hoping hoping hoping that's the issue and it's because I just pinched a hose.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
When you lift the fuel tank, that would be a good time to check the crankcase vent hose connection, plus if you have done the PAIR mod, check if your block-off plates are drooling.

For better sealing, you can use the block off plates along with the reed valve piece that has the rubber seal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, it seems that the gasket has blown off a bit. I don't have my camera with me, but on the right side of the rear valve cover, the "tab" for the gasket was off, like completely off. If you're familiar with the gasket you should know what i'm talking about, there are like two tabs that kind of droop down to complete the seal. Anyways...

Where is the crank case vent hose connection? Honestly, the only thing I've recently done was a PCIII since my bike started having issues. What could cause my valve cover to blow like that? The first time my bike did the "pop" then die on me was when I first rode in the rain and it did it again this morning. Lo' and behold I get home from work and notice my bike's covered in oil. I've never lifted my airbox before and never had this issue prior to installing my PCIII. Could a bad map be causing this? Maybe it's just a short somewhere in the system?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Well, it seems that the gasket has blown off a bit. I don't have my camera with me, but on the right side of the rear valve cover, the "tab" for the gasket was off, like completely off. If you're familiar with the gasket you should know what i'm talking about, there are like two tabs that kind of droop down to complete the seal. Anyways...

Where is the crank case vent hose connection? Honestly, the only thing I've recently done was a PCIII since my bike started having issues. What could cause my valve cover to blow like that? The first time my bike did the "pop" then die on me was when I first rode in the rain and it did it again this morning. Lo' and behold I get home from work and notice my bike's covered in oil. I've never lifted my airbox before and never had this issue prior to installing my PCIII. Could a bad map be causing this? Maybe it's just a short somewhere in the system?
Those "tabs" are part of the valve cover gasket. If it was completely torn off, then you'll need to replace the rear gasket (item 5 below).
http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=156001&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3621

A map will not cause the gasket to pop out like this.

It could be due to the gasket not seated properly in the groove when the valve cover was replaced after a valve clearance check.

It could also be due to high crankcase pressure. But that means the crankcase vent and hose from the front valve cover is blocked somehow.

The front crankcase vent is on the large portion of the front valve cover with a long hose that travels rearward on the right side of the engine to the crankcase vent collection tank.

A hose from the collection tank joins it to the airbox where crankcase gases are fed to the engine.
Items 4 and 5 are the hose and collection tank. Item 15 is the hose section that joins to the airbox.
http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=156020&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3621

Item E18 points to the crankcase vent hose connection on the valve cover.
http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=156001&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3621

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the breather is on the front valve cover, wouldn't that mean the front valve cover should have blown as well?

The strange thing is, it seems the whole pressure build is due to moisture. The reason I say this is because my bike has made a large "pop" then died on me when I've come to a stop only when I rode in the rain and I'm guessing that "pop" was directly related to my valve cover gasket blowing. Is it possible that when I installed my PCIII that I pinched the breather hose where the rear wiring harness meets the front wiring harness?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I need to relieve some pressure from the rear valve cover. How wise/unwise would it be to take off the PAIR block off, put on the original hardware and make a little breather? Would it be a big issue you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Well, I think I need to relieve some pressure from the rear valve cover. How wise/unwise would it be to take off the PAIR block off, put on the original hardware and make a little breather? Would it be a big issue you guys think?
The crankcase breather is on the front valve cover.
Refer to the parts diagram I mentioned.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I checked that plumbing and everything's fine on that end. Why would so much pressure build up in my rear valve cover on moist/rainy days? This is getting to be a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Possibilities:

A When you did the PAIR removal you mixed one hose up for an other and you have plugged something up that you shouldn't have.

B Where the breathing system draws air from the box it is plugged; negative pressure can suck the gasket inwards.

C You have somehow drawn water into the crankcase and when it gets hot it becomes steam. Is your window fogged up, is your oil looking ok or has signs of foam?

D Your oil catch tank/hose should give you some clue. Drain it and inspect what comes out of it.

Is there a chance there may be too much oil in your engine? Do you check it by the window or by how much you filled in?

Even though there is a crankcase breathing system it is not absolutely free to draw and push out gases, so some pressure does build up.

Well, I checked that plumbing and everything's fine on that end. Why would so much pressure build up in my rear valve cover on moist/rainy days? This is getting to be a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't do the PAIR mod, I bought the bike with the PAIR mod already done. I haven't had this issue until recently.

When my bike made a "pop" the oil looked a bit foamy. However, I took it for another ride and it seemed to be okay. I'll be draining my catch hose and see what happens. My oil level is at just about 75% of the window, so about 1-2mm from the top line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd hate to worry you for nothing but I'd recommend some more testing before riding.
What is your coolant look like? Is the tank clear, level, clean? If not and you might find evidence of residue in there flush it out in a clear bottle and inspect it. Let it rest for a while and see if anything weird goes to the surface. If yes, you have oil in there.
If so, you have a head gasket leak between oil and coolant jackets. Usually coolant goes to oil and only in more serious leaks oil goes to coolant. Water vapors in your crankcase will blow a cover gasket. When the engine is hot and you shut it off pressure builds up on the coolant side and may vent through a hairline leak on the head gasket into the oil passage. Then when you start it again this moisture expands and may become steam.

This may happen to an engine if you start it cold and ride it wide open before it warms up. I'm sure you haven't done this, but a previous owner may have. Sometimes those leaks can be temporarily be fixed by radiator sealants which also leave evidence in the cooling system. I hope this is not the case in your bike and it is just a coincidence of valve cover reinstallation carelessness.

Oil being so high after an extensive leak does indicate there was too much in there already which put me in this train of thought.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My coolant level hasn't changed and I checked my oil overflow thing and it seems to have been just "regular" oil in there. I didn't notice anything weird going on with my coolant either. I thought my oil level was the same, but after siliconing my pair block off plates last night and re-checking all my hoses last night it ends up my oil level is pretty low. Like, not even showing in the window anymore unless i tilt my bike to the right. It's been sitting for a couple days now so maybe when I checked last it needed to settle or whatever.

And fuck no, it's one cigarette's time of warm up before I even get on the saddle.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
To check the oil level, crank the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes to circulate oil through the engine.

Then stop the engine and wait for a couple of minutes.
Then raise the bike to the vertical position and check the site glass,
It should be between the low/high level marks (preferably in the middle).

Never check the oil level with the bike on the side stand or not yet cranked and run for a while. Your level will be totally off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts