RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Spooky!
My stuff is private for the most part, even though that's not hard to get into anyway.
But at the same time there are a lot of people out there that think it's cool, and everyone wants to know when they're taking a doo, and what they eat out when they should be socializing.
I'm sharing that!

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly don't mind because I know for a fact that once something is posted on the internet is for public grabs. Period.
No matter how privet I think I have my sharing settings there is always a way for someone to access it if he wants to.
So I am just careful of what I post to the internet and that's all I can do about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Social media exp.

This is exactly what the identity thieves use to jack up your life. I don't Facebook, Instagram..... or any of the media websites. Hell I won't even text. But that's just because I'm old, and set in my ways. I didn't buy a phone to type messages on. I bought a phone to TALK on. There are enough ways for people to F**k with you nowdays without giving them your life history to use against you. I going now. I have to take my Metamucil!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Lol.
I didn't get a smart phone until about a year ago. The phone before that didn't even do video.
Mywife has slowly got me into technology, other than home theater and car audio.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys....it doesn't matter what cell phone device you're using, or if you are texting or posting stuff online.
Hackers and spywares are monitoring the cell signal transmitting towers and the data flow in and out of them and not each one's device.
They tap into your number and not the phone's mic or keyboard.
Everyone should filter wisely their transmissions no matter what form they are manifested.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Guys....it doesn't matter what cell phone device you're using, or if you are texting or posting stuff online.
Hackers and spywares are monitoring the cell signal transmitting towers and the data flow in and out of them and not each one's device.
They tap into your number and not the phone's mic or keyboard.
Everyone should filter wisely their transmissions no matter what form they are manifested.
I'm not sure about in Europe, but in the US grabbing a cell signal from the phone or tower is only capable with highly advanced and EXPENSIVE equipment. One type is th"Stingray". I know, I've worked with it. So for an average or even advanced hacker signal grabbing is not possible.

As far as the video, this knowledge has been around the tech and law enforcement communitys for years. Its primarily a security risk to those who have little concern for personal security. Unless the "location" setting is disabled on apps like Twitter/FB/Instagram/ect. That location setting is encoded into the metadata of the posts, say on Twitter. Which allows me locate where a tweet was posted, say a specific restaurant. I then search your posts for your home address and burglarize you house.

You wouldn't walk around with your personal info on your shirt, why post it online foe all to see.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
This is exactly what the identity thieves use to jack up your life. I don't Facebook, Instagram..... or any of the media websites. Hell I won't even text. But that's just because I'm old, and set in my ways. I didn't buy a phone to type messages on. I bought a phone to TALK on. There are enough ways for people to F**k with you nowdays without giving them your life history to use against you. I going now. I have to take my Metamucil!

I'm on board with everything but the Metamucil;)

I'm not sure about in Europe, but in the US grabbing a cell signal from the phone or tower is only capable with highly advanced and EXPENSIVE equipment. One type is th"Stingray". I know, I've worked with it. So for an average or even advanced hacker signal grabbing is not possible.
If law enforcement has this capability, so does the bad guys. My security analyst at work has always preached this.

Good find Makis.:cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not saying it can't happen but you have to be approved by the DOJ & Homeland security to purchase the equipment.
Not to say the NSA and other gov't groups aren't considered the bad guys. Its a very gray area.

Law enforcement has been using the same techniques from the video to track criminals for years, especially pedophiles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you DirtyTaco and I don't believe that there are big differences between Europe's and USA's cell tower setup.

However my point was that it doesn't matter what kind of cell phone device someone owns. That fact will not change anything to the fact of being tapped whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I have my stuff set to private. The location services for my pictures taken with my phone are turned off. On Facebook, only my friends and family can see my posts or profile. About the only thing that is mildly public is my LinkedIn profile, but that really only has my work history. Pretty easy to find out what information is out there for yourself with a google search.

I think it is kind of a sad statement that these people are actually surprised by this. The only thing that I think should be changed about all of the social media crap is that the default setting should be to have your location settings off, and the security settings for who can see your stuff at the highest setting. If you want things public, you should have to change your settings yourself, not the other way around.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
One thing that I've always been freaked out by is the guys who put stickers all over their trucks that are motorcycle related. It might as well just be a sticker that says "I have a $10k bike at home, just follow me to see where I keep it". Just like the guys with the firearms stickers. That just tells a potential thief that you might have one sitting in your car, and you definitely have one at home.

Same thing goes for trailers. Why advertise to the whole world that you have a motorcycle and a bunch of other shit in your trailer?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Great topic Makis!
I already know all this stuff and that's why you see me rail about it occasionally on FB.
I had to crack up when the guy near the end of the video said, 'If you invade my privacy again I'll call the cops".
I would have told him - go ahead, call the cops. They won't do anything at all. No law has been broken. What an ignorant individual.

B.Miller touched on something that is very important. About public and privacy settings. He mentioned how most devices are set at default to have the public settings.
It's actually quite a challenge to get your device set to an entirely private setting. The manufacturers are under more and more pressure to embed software that reveals our personal information. And our national security agencies and advertisers are at fault. The NSA has made it - illegal - for companies like Verizon, AT&T, Facebook, et al, to even inform us customers that they are giving free access of any and all information requests to these agencies. All in the name of National Security. Secret laws and secret hearings that the public never gets to know about.
It makes me sick.
Moreover, today's software writers and app developers are making the end user conform to the device, rather than the person being in charge of how the device will perform. Which makes the spy agencies and advertisers very happy. Everything you put up on facebook is at some point analyzed, gleaned, mined, and tracked.
I use facebook. I use a smart phone. I use WiFi. But like Makis says, don't go thinking you have one single iota of privacy. I don't care what you think your settings are. You have no privacy. None. That's partly our fault for not informing ourselves better, but most of the blame lies in the devices and the people who make them and the operating software they use. These companies and so called security agencies want to keep it this way.

I feel like we're headed for a tipping point soon.
It's time the people took back control from huge corporations and spying governments. Not to mention big oil and big food. BP and Monsanto come to mind, but that's another rant...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Some may be missing the point, I think - You can set every one of your settings to private, but I wouldn't count on that meaning much.

Zuckerberg / Facebook has been a dirty little SOB several times that I know of, releasing users' "private" data, or re-setting your privacy settings, selling your personal data, etc. over the years ... and those are only the ones that make it to the news.

If you put it out there, it's capturable.

That's the assumption I go on anyway.

Heck I just received a letter from Adobe saying, "Whoops somebody was able to hack in and retrieve your data. We're very very sorry, and we're giving you a free 1-year subscription to ____." (some identity theft protection thing)

If Adobe can't stop hackers, who can?

Here's an article about it: http://www.ibtimes.com/adobe-hack-worse-reported-hackers-steal-38-million-customers-personal-data-photoshop-source-code

1 - 16 of 16 Posts