RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to vent! So i bought my second Rc51 which is a 2000 with 31000 miles on it, a little high but not too high for an enthusiest, and i new it was gonna need some work due to the higher mileage but man this guy treated this bike like a red headed step child. Heres a few issues:
-Black oil
-barley any radiator fluid
-clutch reservoir looks like mud
-brake reservoir was a hair above empty
-bad leaking fork seal (took it apart and have to replace all the bushings), fork
fluid was black not milky gray
-random hardware on fairings

nothing that cant be fixed it just fathoms me how someone would treat a great bike like crap. working in a shop ive seen some crap bikes but never on a rc51. some peoples kids :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Probably treats his car the same way.
No doubt wonders why he's broke down all the time and blames the manufacturer.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I feel your pain! When I got my bike, i bought it lowsided, not running, rusty tank, broken everything--clutch handle, mirror, etc. Like you I knew what I was getting, but as my project unfolded, I could start to figure some things out about previous 2 owners. First owner financed it. treated it very good, and did a couple quality upgrades. Apparently bank repo'd it, and the second owners brother owned the tow business. You can do the math there.
Second owner thrashed it some, lot's rubber chunks melted into the undertail and such. Then he lowsided, stuck it in a leaky roof shed for a couple years, then offered it for sale. At least he didn't make an insurance claim on it so I got a clean title.
Some peoples kids...

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
You are taking on something most of us would walk away from....I wouldn't I love to tinker;)

Anyway, you have it, know the remedies and I am sure will get her road worthy in no time.:cool:

You are right, some people shouldn't.......

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
You are taking on something most of us would walk away from....I wouldn't I love to tinker;)

Anyway, you have it, know the remedies and I am sure will get her road worthy in no time.:cool:

You are right, some people shouldn't.......
At least he's wearing a helmet. That means it an open casket funeral. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah it def could be worse, i guess its too early to open my mouth though lol. i put some honda synthetic and sea foam in it and it pulls much better already. probably need to go ahead and adjust the valves while she's down too. Its always fun finding different stuff out about people and the ways they use there stuff haha. gonna be a fun filled week!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
subsailor, from sarasota huh. wish the air force would station me close to there. i was in hurby field for two years. thats where i had my 05 rc, miss it alot, minus the hurricanes haha.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
It could be worse...
I didn't know Fat Bastard rode a motorcycle......"I've got a crap on deck that could choke a donkey"....:D

I will have my camera out for new material during the GP.....don't let yourselves get caught by my camera:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Need to vent! So i bought my second Rc51 which is a 2000 with 31000 miles on it, a little high but not too high for an enthusiest, and i new it was gonna need some work due to the higher mileage but man this guy treated this bike like a red headed step child. Heres a few issues:
-Black oil
-barley any radiator fluid
-clutch reservoir looks like mud
-brake reservoir was a hair above empty
-bad leaking fork seal (took it apart and have to replace all the bushings), fork
fluid was black not milky gray
-random hardware on fairings

nothing that cant be fixed it just fathoms me how someone would treat a great bike like crap. working in a shop ive seen some crap bikes but never on a rc51. some peoples kids :mad:
I can relate!!! (See winter project posting) When I got mine it had virtually no rubber left on the rear tire and still had the factory chain on it which would have been fine if it had been lubed at one point in time! Leaking fork seals, no air filters, fluids had never been changed. Then the ultimate!!! Remove the tank and air box only to find a mouse taking up residence between the cyclinders!!!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
... Then the ultimate!!! Remove the tank and air box only to find a mouse taking up residence between the cyclinders!!! ...
I love it!!! Mount a gerbil wheel to you crankshaft. Increase your power, and save fuel. You could even turn off your gas at cruising speed and let the little guy take over.:D

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
unfortunately in the sportbike world, most owners do not take care of there bikes.....just ask most guys if they have ever changed fork oil, clutch, or brake fluid....95 percent will say NO. Sport bikes for most are summer rides which get ridden into the ground and are expected to start every season and keep going till sold. thats what seperates the track guys/enthusiasts from the "seasonal riders".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn apeboy thats nuts dude. i would of been pissed, especially with no filters man. that guy think he was riding a harley or something haha. gts455 i can def. back you up on that. we had guys all the time would come in and not even know their bike had oil in the forks and wonder why they would leak haha. some people these days.

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
I love it!!! Mount a gerbil wheel to you crankshaft. Increase your power, and save fuel. You could even turn off your gas at cruising speed and let the little guy take over.:D
The new Honda Hybrid RC51!!
First, the gerbil had taste.
Second, as least he wasn't the gerbil in the South Park episode!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
The new Honda Hybrid RC51!!
First, the gerbil had taste.
Second, as least he wasn't the gerbil in the South Park episode!
Must be the Sumitomo wiring that is fortified with vitamins...rats go wild for it!:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts