RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, yesterday I was stopped at a light after a few hours of riding with no issues. Then suddenly the RPM's slow and the and the bike stalls. I try to restart, and it cranks slowly for a second then no movement. Then the oil light comes on and starts blinking angrily at me.

So I push the poor thing home. Drain the oil, some metal shavings, but nothing out of the ordinary, so I pull the oil pan off. I find three chunks of metal that appear to be a small sleeve possibly. Probably no bigger then 3mm in diameter if all the pieces were there.

My first thought was oil pump or, pump chain/sprocket. I pull the oil pump off, and its flawless.

So, does anyone have any ideas of things I could check before having to find someone to take the engine completely appart?

This is an 03 RC51. Fortunately he engine is not siezed, as I was able to spin it by hand

thanks for any input

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can get a SP1 motor with onyl 5K very cheaply, can I use SP1 shortblock motor with all the SP2 bits ( ecu/fuel/electrical)?

I tried to search but couldnt find a way to not get 5 million unrelated results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The oil light would come on if the engine did not start and there was no pressure.
Could it be a piece of your oil filter? What brand were you using? Describe the metal (Al/Fe) and thickness/size of pieces.

I'd take the filter off and after some inspection of the filter itself I'd cut it open and search inside for more evidence.
Then I'd go to the clutch side and look. Also take plugs off, put it in high gear and turn the wheel slowly. If it binds anywhere don't force it. If not shift 1-6 to get a feel from the tranny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts