RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after some hot days on the bike I decided to install a manual switch for the fans. I researched and found a few articles on how to do it and follwed them step by step. I hooked everything up and turned the key on and flipped the switch yet no fan movement. I bought your standard metal flip switch that had two wires coming out of it. I ran one wire to a ground on the frame, the second wire I ran to what I though was the relay for the fans in the tail. There were 4 wires coming out of the relay (black and white, green and blue, green, and black). I used one of the split clamps to tie the wires together (the black wire). Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Here are a few pics of what I did.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
With one lead on the switch tied to frame ground, and the other lead to black off of the relay, it should work.
I'd check that you have a good ground connection and good connection to the black wire.

It looks lie your using one of those blue 3M insulation displacement splices. Those are notorious for not maintaining a good connection.
Drove me crazy with my undertail for way too long.
Finally got pissed and removed them all and used decent crimp splices.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subsailor you were right, although about an hour too late haha. I was thinking the same thing and went out to the garage and just spliced into the wire directly and guess what, it works! Thanks for the response. Hopefully she will run a little cooler.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Subsailor you were right, although about an hour too late haha. I was thinking the same thing and went out to the garage and just spliced into the wire directly and guess what, it works! Thanks for the response. Hopefully she will run a little cooler.
Unfortunately, it was a busy day yesterday and I didn't have any free time to check messages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your switch placement looks really good - how did you run the switch wire through the head nut??!

I have a switch and am ready to do the mod, but don't want to drill anything expensive or fabricate anything either. That plastic cap on the nut is replaceable, so I'd like to know how you ran the wire.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The steering stem is hollow as well as the nut. He installed the switch on the cap that covers the steering stem.
Probably ran the wire through the lower part of the stem.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I think your problem was the splice that you used (obviously). The blue ones are usually for the thicker gauge wires, and the red ones are for thinner gauge.

I hate these types of splices also, but I am using two of them (one for the soft rev and the other for a gear indicator) and neither has failed me (yet). One thing I like to do is use a small amount of dielectric grease inside of them to prevent any corrosion should they get wet. What I would prefer to get is a scotchlok, but I can't find them anywhere but online.

Old thread I guess I missed that. This is about the easiest thing you can do. I didn't even splice into the wires. I just stripped off some insulation of the added wires and shoved them in the connector on the relay and it never failed to work. I ran two wires front to back, and plugged them both into the relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My switch

Thanks everyone for the tip, the switch works fine.

B Mo, I was impressed by your switch position. I did the same thing:

IMAG0525.jpg

Now all I want to do is put even bigger SPAL fans on the radiators.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tip, the switch works fine.

B Mo, I was impressed by your switch position. I did the same thing:

View attachment 3598

Now all I want to do is put even bigger SPAL fans on the radiators.
Looks good and I like that switch much better than a toggle.
I think I'll steal that idea. :D Might get an illuminated one if I can find one that's not to bright.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I know this old but I have a question. I just wired a manual switch up did it a little different though. I ran a wire directly from the battery to the switch then from the switch to the fan. Then I ran a ground from the fan to the frame. Works fine, is this a bad idea?

Admittedly I am a novice when it comes to electrical wiring.

-Brian

And I'm stealing the switch idea to, I have the same toggle as the OP but the black switch looks much better IMO

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
yes that's not a great idea, because the fan will run with the ignition off, and you make no mention of a fuse, so if there is trouble in the circuit you'll short your battery.

best to wire the switch in parallel with the already existing switch

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry forgot that, there is a inline fuse that I used. Other than making sure its off lol is there a downside?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not positive I understand the question, the fan will work if i flip the fan switch i put in even with the ignition off if that is what you're asking?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
if your switch is off and the bike gets hot, will the fan turn on automatically as it's supposed to.

ie did you cut the wiring and replace it? or did you just put your wiring together with it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts