RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've just been looking at a for sale thread on here where the price set by a seller of his bike has been the cause of some debate. The discussion made me wonder what prices our bikes go for in different parts of the world. If you guys in North America want a shock :eek: go to bikesales.com.au and search for Honda VTR sp1 or sp2 and hold onto your chairs. While your picking yourselves off the floor consider also that the Aussie dollar is worth about $1.04 US dollars at the moment, so that makes the prices slightly higher again in US dollars.

Just to give an idea of prices here in Oz the average asking price for an SP2 is around $13 000 :(

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hi guys, I've just been looking at a for sale thread on here where the price set by a seller of his bike has been the cause of some debate. The discussion made me wonder what prices our bikes go for in different parts of the world. If you guys in North America want a shock :eek: go to bikesales.com.au and search for Honda VTR sp1 or sp2 and hold onto your chairs. While your picking yourselves off the floor consider also that the Aussie dollar is worth about $1.04 US dollars at the moment, so that makes the prices slightly higher again in US dollars.

Just to give an idea of prices here in Oz the average asking price for an SP2 is around $13 000 :(
Can you find a buyer for mine??:D

My '03 would fetch $4,500 to $5,500 depending on what part of the US I was selling .

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Population and country dictate the price, I'm fortunate to be able to purchase my parts in the US and have them shipped to my cousins place in Washington state or I use a holding place in Sumas Washington. I take advantage of the free shipping in the US as we get screwed by cross border shipping by customs.

Parts, gear and bikes actually everything in Canada just plain costs more to purchase on average...25/30% more.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
There's a couple members on Fireblades.org who have 'grey' bikes in South Africa. I wonder how much $ one of the 15 or so RC51's in that country go for...

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Parts, gear and bikes actually everything in Canada just plain costs more to purchase on average...25/30% more.
AMEN !!!!We get totally ****ed with shipping and pricing on anything up here....You name it..... we pay more, .....toilet paper included.:eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You often here talk over here about importing bikes from the US as the prices are so good compared to ours. Most people won't attempt it though as there are too many hurdles to clear including shipping, customs and then a process of ensuring Australian design rulers (ADR's) are met, apparently it's a nightmare that just doesn't justify the savings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AMEN !!!!We get totally ****ed with shipping and pricing on anything up here....You name it..... we pay more, .....toilet paper included.:eek:
I'm hearing you brother. Imagine living in (as a former Prime Minister of ours once famously said) the arse end of the world. Pretty nice arse end though :D:p

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
You often here talk over here about importing bikes from the US as the prices are so good compared to ours. Most people won't attempt it though as there are too many hurdles to clear including shipping, customs and then a process of ensuring Australian design rulers (ADR's) are met, apparently it's a nightmare that just doesn't justify the savings.
Even if you just buy it as a track bike??

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I'm hearing you brother. Imagine living in (as a former Prime Minister of ours once famously said) the arse end of the world. Pretty nice arse end though :D:p
Yeah..... Those Aussie chics on those arse end of the world beaches.....

whooo weee...... :eek::eek::eek:

That's worth it alone :eek::) The rest is just a bonus for all you chaps down under.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if you just buy it as a track bike??
I'm absolutely no expert but as a track bike would be much easier, no need to have it registered for the road. Getting it registered for road use would require an insane amount of jumping through hoops and may not even be possible if it was originally imported as a recreational item not for road use.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Australia's vehicles are generally a lot more expensive than in other countries such as the U.S. It's not just a particular bike model, but across the board.

I'll specifically refer to cars now, but the same applies to bikes and probably more so to trucks & buses.
The obscene hurdles anybody needs to jump to import vehicles from another continent to Australia are in place to deter grey import activity. Mostly this helps benefit the official importers, but with cars there - it helps protect the giant manufacturers - Ford & GM.

Funny enough as far as market protectionism, it's similar in the U.S. with perhaps some leniency when importing vehicles from neighbouring Canada. Why is the U.S. like this?
Chrysler, G.M & Ford are again primary reasons, but also other manufacturers find the safety that stops others undermining their business comforting.

Similar market protectionism is widespread, especially in countries where cars are manufactured or where an official importer has a large portion of the market.

So comparing prices of bikes in different corners of the world would only be relevant if it were possible to profitably source, ship & import vehicles to your country safely.
As generally it's not - there's not much point in comparing prices or putting a lot of time into digging through import rules & regulations of your country.

If you don't see grey imports there, there's a certainty of strong safeguards stopping such activity.

·
Registered
575 Posts
$13000 for a sp2. Hell you can have mine $10000

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Well - It seems this discussion continues
At this rate- HELL find some buyers- WE will all sale off... I should be able to buy a
Ariel ATOM for the prices I can get for the 2003, and 2006.. and bunches of parts..

P.S. Let me know-I will send photos........just kidding

1 - 19 of 19 Posts