RC51 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been scouring the internet for the past 6 months - forums and parts suppliers worldwide - and a chain slider for an SP1, specifically p/n# 52170-MCF-000, seems to now be completely unobtainable. I have even placed 3x orders through well-known parts suppliers (one in the US, one in Japan, and one in the Netherlands) that were showing as available on their websites, but each time had my order canceled and refunded due to unavailability. This is somewhat surprising because this is definitely a wear item that will either wear out due to use or simply decay and crack/fall apart with age & exposure...and the bike is essentially un-rideable without one. I have examined the SP2 p/n# 52170-MCF-D30 and found it to be very different and not useable on the SP1. I also looked at other Honda models from the era - 929RR, CBR600F4, etc. and none of their chain sliders will work either.

My current slider is holding together with some spit and glue but I cringe every time I go out and ride now because I'm always wondering if this will be the ride it decides to let go. So I guess my questions is, once your chain slider deteriorates, what options - other than swapping to an SP2 swing arm - are available to keep one's bike from becoming a really cool piece of garage art?

· Registered
159 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles fatty, this is an issue that has been cropping up on this site more and more lately. I find this situation rather curious because I currently own a’72 Honda CB750K2 and can still find consumable wear type parts from the factory. Now, I understand that the CB sold for much longer and in far greater numbers than the SP-1. I also understand that Honda is in business to make money but you would think that they would try to provide at least the consumable parts needed to keep these machines running. I wish you luck.

· Registered
83 Posts
Probably best to switch to an SP2 swing arm anyway. Sure, more $ and time to be spent but you get better handling, the SP2 swing arm looks better, and then you go buy 3 extra chain sliders while they are still available and call it a day.

My 2 cents...

· Registered
RC51 SP-1
60 Posts
It is easiest to make it from a nylon plate.
The noise is a little louder, but better than nothing.
When I asked the Honda headquarters, he said, "I have no plans to make it."
The SP2 sliders will probably be out of stock soon, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to replace the entire swingarm.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I found this during one of my periodic searches for the elusive SP1 chain slider:
Appears to be someone in Japan producing a replacement chain slider out of plastic stock and selling them on a Japanese auction site. This auction runs through the 18th of January and it's listed for 13,800 yen (about $121 USD). Shipping states "no international shipping" so it seems I wouldn't be able to get it to the US even if I bought it. Well, at least someone is starting to reproduce this part!

· Registered
RC51 SP-1
60 Posts
Also designed 3D data, but to make it a real product, I have to outsource it to a vendor for 3D printing.
This is because it is necessary to output nylon at a high temperature with a stage of 350 mm x 350 mm or more. It costs money for individuals.
Since it is a functional part and does not require perfect beauty, I think it is better to buy and cut materials such as POM or nylon after all.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

I make chain sliders for the NS400R (see eBay listing). I’ve just had an enquiry on the RC51.

I can obtain a new RC51 one to copy. Is there much interest before I invest in moulds? Price would be if the order of £60ea.

Alastair

· Registered
RC51 SP-1
60 Posts
Hi All

I make chain sliders for the NS400R (see eBay listing). I’ve just had an enquiry on the RC51.

I can obtain a new RC51 one to copy. Is there much interest before I invest in moulds? Price would be if the order of £60ea.

Alastair
Hi, please give me a reference link on ebay.
Some people have already made SP1 sliders, but it might be good to have more options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts